Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Matthew Douglas Kennedy

Dear All, I have no records for my Grandfather's service in WW1. My father has no memory of his fathers service. We think he served in the army from 1916 but have no service number, no medals, no knowledge of where he enlisted, either in Huddersfield or on the Isle of Man. please can anyone advise how I can get going. thank you

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

ancestry and Findmypast are the companies licensed to make available online WW1 service records. However 60% plus of WW1 records were destroyed in WW11 bt bombing/fire. The Medal Roll Index cards and the medal and Award records do survive but these very very rarely have any personal information. They do give the regiment(s) and number(s) so the war Diares can be looked up on The National Archives site which will give a general idea of where a soldier served and when.
    This looks to be a possible record for your grandfather in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920
    Matthew Douglas Kennedy
    Rank - Driver
    Medals awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal
    Regiment or Corps - Army Service Corps
    Regimental number - T/450518
    Previous Units - 18th. Bn. K.L. Regt. 36879. Private. ( K.L. Regt = Kings Liverpool?)

So he served in two regiments and has two numbers, which happened in WW1. You got moved around where needed and were given a new number for that regiment.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This is your grandfather's birth record?
    Matthew Douglas Kennedy
    Birth Date 7 Dec 1896
    Douglas, Isle of Man
    Father - Matthew kennedy
    Mother- Elizabeth Margaret leece.

He married in Yorkshire in 1921. On the 1939 register his birth date is down as the 6 Dec 1896

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs