Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Matching Brothers up George &William Cross

Good Afternoon everyone,
    I would really like you help please, I have a George Cross 1864/7 born Warwickshire as stated in both 1901 and 1911 He is now living in Bethnal Green London. He married Emily Whittington 1892 on the marriage bans states his Father is Edwin, On the 1901 census George has his brother William 1869 Warwickshire Engineers Labourer showing on this census, my problem is I cannot find them before 1901 census in Bethnal Green or Warwickshire or with their father so I have no idea who their mother is and cannot search further back pass 1901
    Any help from you brilliant People would be so helpful as I seem to be going round in circles!
    regards
    Lizziejane

Brick wall demolition expert!

I've looked at the censuses that you've mentioned and have struggled to identify the birth places that George and William have identified.

In 1901 George lists "Atterbury, Warwickshire", and according to the GENUKI gazetteer there is no such place and William lists, what looks like "Sebboard Warwickshire", and again I can find nothing for this.

In 1911 George now says that he was born in what seems to be "Barbury, Warwickshire", and again there is no such place.

If you search the gazetteer for places in Warwickshire ending with "bury", then possibly he meant "Harberbury / Harbury", which is not far from Leamington Spa. However, I wonder if they got their counties muddled up, as there is an Atterbury in Buckinghamshire, near Milton Keynes, or if Barbury should have been Banbury, in which case it would have been Oxfordshire, which of course borders Warwickshire.

If you search the birth indexes for a George Cross born in 1864/65 either in or near Warwickshire, there are two; both born in Banbury. One whose mother's maiden name was Gardener, and the other whose maiden name was Stow.

Similarly if you search the birth indexes for a William Cross born 1869 +/- 2 years either in or near Warwickshire, there is one born in Banbury whose mother's maiden name was Stow.

An EDMUND Cross married a Sarah Stow at Shipston on Stour, Warwickshire in 1852.

You will find them in the 1871 census : Piece number 1462 , Folio 74, Page 28
    And William is said to have been born in Adderbury.

Now I don't know for sure that is your family, but it is something to follow up.

Famous for offering help & advice

I've spotted an Adderbury near Banbury on the map, Megan.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

For the fifth time . . . . . (my computer is currently in danger of getting thrown out of the window!)

About three hours ago, I was working on the same lines as Megan re place names but hadn't got as far as the birth registrations or the 1871 census.
    Would agree entirely with those findings. List of places in Banbury registration district
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/banbury.html
    which includes Adderbury and Sibford Ferris and Sibford Gower.
    aka Atterbury and Sebboard in the 1901 census.

And, yes, 1911 census is a badly-written Banbury, IMO.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi
    Brilliant will look into all your finds
    Thank You
    Lj

Hi Megan
    Thank you once again for your help I have been up very early this morning and looked up all the information you found for me and its spot on! Brilliant
    one happy person this morning now off for my Shower to start my Day even though I want to carry on searching
    regards
    Lizziejane