Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Can anyone indentify this cap badge please?

Does anyone know what cap badge this is? This is my great Grandfather Thomas Morris in WW1. I cant find any military records for him but my Grandma told me he was a cook in the war and he also looked after the horses.

Reputation beyond repute

Looks to me like a branch of the Artillery. The bandolier suggested some mounted role, perhaps a driver.

Where have you looked? There are several candidates among the medal roll index cards and a few possible service records. There's no point me searching because I wouldn't be able to identify him.

If you provide some identity details - date and place of birth, residence, next of kin etc someone may be encouraged to search.

Is Thomas Morris his full name?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you!
    I looked on ancestry a few years ago but I couldn’t find anything and I haven’t got it anymore. Thank you, good idea!.

Thomas Morris (full name)
    Born 14 December 1891
    Born in Oldbury, Worcestershire
    Lived in Oldbury/Smethwick
    Mother Lucy Morris
    Father Samuel Morris

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Forgot to mention, he survived the war!

thewideeyedowl

Default Army Service Corps, perhaps(?)

Hello, Bethgw, and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen

It is difficult to identify the badge because of the poor resolution of the photograph. You said, though, that your grandmother had told you that grandad was a cook and looked after horses, in which case he might have been in the Army Service Corps [ASC] - basically, a corps of dogsbodies who kept the show on the road. See this interesting article on The Long Long Trail: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/...rst-world-war/; it includes a picture, so you can see what their badge looked like. Also, just run searches for 'asc ww1 cap badge' and 'asc ww1 bandolier' - lots will come up and you can often buy the real things on eBay.

Good luck with your searches and let us know how you get on.

Off to roost.

Owl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you!

That would make sense if he was in that one then! After searching for the asc badges I’ve found one which does look very similar! It’s the Army Service Corps WW1 Economy cap badge (non voided centre). His badge doesn’t look like it has gaps in the middle like the normal ASC cap badge so it could definitely be the Economy one! His badge looks a bit more narrow but he’s not looking directly at the camera so it could be the angle making it look less round. Thank you!! The website you linked was very interesting too!

Thank you for all your help!

thewideeyedowl

Good morning, Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Bethgw View Post

Thomas Morris (full name)
    Born 14 December 1891
    Born in Oldbury, Worcestershire
    Lived in Oldbury/Smethwick
    Mother Lucy Morris
    Father Samuel Morris
    If you are sure that this is your Thomas Morris, then I suggest that you check him out in the 1911 Census. He would have been about 19 or so on census date, so probably working and still living at home (or he may have been in lodgings, of course). This would tell you what he was doing in civilian life, which may give a clue to his army duties. You would also find info about his family, assuming he was still at home.

I believe that you could get access to Ancestry at a library; alternatively, take 'free trial' and remember to untick the continuous payment option if you do not want to commit yourself to a subscription.

Let us know what you find about great-grandad.

Swooping off now.

Owl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Afternoon Owl

It’s definitely him! I found his 1911 census when I was on ancestry a few years ago and it said he was an apprentice to printing (which runs in the family on both sides funnily enough) but as far as I know he didn’t do anything relating to that in the war. Ahh that’s brillant, I was hoping to go back on ancestry but cost wise can’t at the moment so the free trail would be perfect! And I wouldn’t have known about that so I’ll definitely untick the continuous payment, thank you!

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by thewideeyedowl View Post
    Good morning, Beth

If you are sure that this is your Thomas Morris, then I suggest that you check him out in the 1911 Census. He would have been about 19 or so on census date, so probably working and still living at home (or he may have been in lodgings, of course). This would tell you what he was doing in civilian life, which may give a clue to his army duties. You would also find info about his family, assuming he was still at home.

I believe that you could get access to Ancestry at a library; alternatively, take 'free trial' and remember to untick the continuous payment option if you do not want to commit yourself to a subscription.

Let us know what you find about great-grandad.

Swooping off now.

Owl
    Unfortunately civilian occupation rarely transferred into the army with some exceptions of course. It's a military mind thing, only trusted their own training.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    Unfortunately civilian occupation rarely transferred into the army with some exceptions of course. It's a military mind thing, only trusted their own training.

Cheers. Ed
    Oh I didn’t know that! Makes it harder to find out what they did then!
    Thanks!