Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Millers of Oxenhoath

So, my ancestors were the Miller family, and a general google search gets you book results of the Miller family on Oxenhoath, an extinct baronet family from the early 1700's in Kent. and some of these millers have find a grave pages that i created also.

There has been some ancestry work done on the Miller by Ethel Waters, from the study of Hasted History of Kent, and William Berry and the Harleian Society.

What I would like to find is some burial information or (whatever wanna look for really, help a girl out ? ) On some of the early Miller family. Some of this is a brick wall, I will provide marks where I'm stuck

My 4th great grandmother was -
    Elizabeth Miller nee Kemp 1784-1862
    Her father was Richard Miller I of Poole, England 1744-1803

Richards father was
    --- Nicholas V of Oxenhoath 1715-1750 (Burial location unknown, he married Ann ?)

Nicholas V father was Humphrey II of Oxenhoath 1690-1730 (Burial location unknown, wife unknown)

Humphrey's father was Nicholas IV of Oxenhoath 1629-1693 (burial location unknown, wife unknown)

Now I did read a mention that these three guys may be buried at some church near Oxenhoath but I don't know anything else or if thats true or how to find out

I do know that two ancestors of Nicholas IV are buried at St. George Churchyard in Wrotham, Kent

So..anyone wanna try a crack at this? I think some of these guys might have old wills on ancestry but reading the text is quite difficult

Reputation beyond repute

Oxon Hoath is a stately home, not exactly a place. The parish would have been West Peckham.

Can you confirm this? The only possible Elizabeth Miller matching those criteria died in Poole. She was shown in available census returns as unmarried. What is the significance of née Kemp if indeed she didn't marry?

What is your earliest confirmed ancestor (perhaps the child of this Elizabeth Miller)? By confirmed I mean where you have a clear unambiguous paper trail from you to this person.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Elizabeth Miller lived in Poole for a time and then emigrated to America to Michigan with her husband George Kemp (1784-1863) where they both died.

among her children is George Kemp (1804-1888) my ancestor

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by dakotagurl View Post

If Elizabeth MILLER married George KEMP, then she should be described as

“Elizabeth KEMP nee MILLER”

Findmypast has a marriage by licence between George KEMP Jnr and Elizabeth MILLER in 1807 at Poole St James. Witnesses include George KEMP (father?), Mary KEMP, James KEMP, Will. MILLER, Jane GREEN and Wm. BUDDEN.

Peter

among her children is George Kemp (1804-1888) my ancestor
    Findmypast also has non-conformist baptisms for six children born to George and Elizabeth:
    Maria 1808
    George 1809*
    Emma 1810
    Harriett 1812
    Alfred 1814
    Arthur 1816

Peter

Possible baptism for Elizabeth:

Elizabeth dau of Richard and Mary MILLER born 11th May 1784, baptised 2nd June 1784, Poole, Skinner Street Independent.

Possible marriage for Richard and Mary:

Richard MILLER m. Mary BUDDEN, 9th June 1778 at Poole St James. Married by licence with consent of bride's parents, as she was a minor. Witnesses Wm. BUDDEN, George KEMP, George ALLEN, Elizth ALLEN, Eliza BUDDEN, Sarah ALLEN, Ann JUBBER.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Possible baptism for Elizabeth:

Richard MILLER m. Mary BUDDEN, 9th June 1778 at Poole St James. Married by licence with consent of bride's parents, as she was a minor. Witnesses Wm. BUDDEN, George KEMP, George ALLEN, Elizth ALLEN, Eliza BUDDEN, Sarah ALLEN, Ann JUBBER.

Peter
    Yeah see I've gotten to this point, it's trying to connect Richard to his father Nicholas 1715-1750, and discovering information on Nicholas, who married "Anne"? and like what is there on Nicholas? where was he possibly buried? I know his father is Humphrey Miller (1690-1730)

Yeah see I've gotten to this point, it's trying to connect Richard to his father Nicholas 1715-1750
    If you don't have any evidence, why do you suppose that Nicholas is Richard's father?

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    If you don't have any evidence, why do you suppose that Nicholas is Richard's father?

Peter

I have the book "Kemps of Ollantigh and Kemps of Poole"

Mentioned in the book about Richard Miller is this -------

"His ancestry has been traced by Ethel Waters, from the study of Hasted History of Kent, and from that of William Berry and the Harleian Society, and an outline from his report shows as follows.

1. Nicholas Miller, Gent of Preston in Aylesford, County Kent. Died 1621. He obtained the manor called "Sore" near Preston.
    2. Sir Nicholas Miller of Horsnells Crouch in Wrotham, died 1640. Made sheriff of Kent by Charles the I. Brought the manor of Wingfield.
    3. Sir Nicholas Miller, of Oxenhoath. Died 1658, left four sons including Humphrey,who resided at Oxenhoath, and was made a Baronet. Another son was Nicholas
    4. Sir Nicholas Miller, also resided at Oxenhoath, and also acquired Wingfield. Died 1693.
    5. Sir Humphrey Miller, son of Sir Nicholas of Oxenhoath, died circa 1730
    6. Nicholas Miller Esq., son of Sir Humphrey, also Oxenhoath died 1750, left a son Richard
    7. Dr. Richard Miller, of Poole, born 1744,died Dec 6,1802

Famous for offering help & advice

The link that you need to prove or disprove is that between Richard who died in 1802 and Nicholas who died in 1750. Since Poole is some distance from Kent, there's no obvious connection, and Miller is too common a name for you to jump to conclusions.

I've done a bit of investigation and come up with the following, which tend to suggest that the two might not be connected.

Richard's burial in 1802 is found in the non-conformist registers (RG4) as having been at the Independent Meeting Yard, Poole. It would be quite unusual, though not impossible, for a member of a landed family such as the one from Oxenheath to be a protestant non-conformist - they were generally Church of England, or sometimes Roman Catholic.

Richard's will was proved in the PCC on 25 Feb 1803, with a second probate on 6 Apr 1803. I've skimmed through it, but didn't see any mention of Kent, though there was property on the Isle of Wight. However, there was something that needs to be followed up: he was entitled to receive an investment on the death of his sister Susannah Miller by virtue of something in his mother's will. So who was their mother?

As for the Kent family, in a very quick look I haven't found either a baptism for Richard son of Nicholas in 1744, or a will for Nicholas who died in 1750. If Nicholas didn't leave a will, there may be an administration naming his wife, and there could be a later will in her name. So you need to fill out some details of that family to look for clues which might link to Richard in Poole.

Finally, to add to the mix, FamilySearch lists the burial of a Richard Miller in East Farleigh in 1820, with a birth in 1744. It's not necessarily the right one, but there are a lot of other Richard Millers in Kent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast