Thread: Hello

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello

I am new to this Community. I have been working on my family history since 2012. I have spent most of my time working on the USA branch of my family and I am now very interested in learning more about my ancestral family in England. I look forward to meeting potential family members in England.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

We can't guarantee that any of your family are forum members, but we'll do our best to find you a few ancestors.
    Decide which one you want to ask about first, tell us what you already know about him/her, and our sleuths willl see what they can discover.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Help I need with English roots

I am trying to find my English roots through Robarde Traweek who was born November 13, 1668 in Cornwall, England.
    I have found two possible records of who his parents were: (1) John James Lunsford Traweek Jr. (b. November 13, 1650 in Cornwall, Sussex, England – d. January 2, 1732 in England) and Margery King (b. 1650 in Lancaster, Virginia – d. 1696) and (2) John Treweeke (b. 1638 Cornwall, England-d. 1732 Cornwall, England) and Ann Bernard (b. 1635 Camborne, Cornwall, England – d. 1665 Cornwall, England).
    Further information for John and Ann as his parents stated Robarde Traweek was christened using the name Robarte Treweeke on 31 May 1656 at the parish church in Camborne, Cornwall, England by his parents, John Treweeke and Ann Bernard. His sister, Margery was christened 21 January 1659 and an unnamed brother was also christened 21 Jun 1659 at the same church.
    The other interesting fact I find intriguing is the possible connection to the Lunsford family line.
    Any help to get me started on my English roots would be greatly appreciated.
    If anyone is interested in following the Trawick family in America, feel free to have them contact me.
    trawickUSA

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by trawickUSA View Post
    I am trying to find my English roots through Robarde Traweek who was born November 13, 1668 in Cornwall, England.
    I have found two possible records of who his parents were: (1) John James Lunsford Traweek Jr. (b. November 13, 1650 in Cornwall, Sussex, England – d. January 2, 1732 in England) and Margery King (b. 1650 in Lancaster, Virginia – d. 1696)
    First of all, Cornwall is not a town in Sussex. Cornwall and Sussex are each a county in England.
    If John was born in England and Margery was born in the US, where did they marry?
    and (2) John Treweeke (b. 1638 Cornwall, England-d. 1732 Cornwall, England) and Ann Bernard (b. 1635 Camborne, Cornwall, England – d. 1665 Cornwall, England)./QUOTE]
    If Ann died in 1665 she can't possibly be the mother of Robarde if he was born 13 November 1668. However, see next sentence
    Further information for John and Ann as his parents stated Robarde Traweek was christened using the name Robarte Treweeke on 31 May 1656 at the parish church in Camborne, Cornwall, England by his parents, John Treweeke and Ann Bernard./QUOTE]
    So if he was christened in 1656 where has the birthdate of 1668 come from?
    His sister, Margery was christened 21 January 1659 and an unnamed brother was also christened 21 Jun 1659 at the same church.
    You don't give the source of any of this information. Nor whether you found it, or whether you've copied it from somewhere.
    'Copying' is fine, provided you use it as a base to start your own research. Copying and using it as fact is likely to lead to lots of incorrect relatives.
    The other interesting fact I find intriguing is the possible connection to the Lunsford family line.
    Any help to get me started on my English roots would be greatly appreciated.
    If anyone is interested in following the Trawick family in America, feel free to have them contact me.
    trawickUSA
    Although parish registers began in England in 1538, most start at 1558, and, as you can probably imagine, in the intervening four hundred and fifty years since then quite a lot of them have been lost or greatly damaged due to damp, fire, mice, and plain carelessness. During the period 1649-1660 when England didn't have a king, not all the PRs were completed. However, Camborne PRs seem to have survived. I would suggest you check out https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/ which will enable you to confirm some details. correct others, and then add some.

Two things to remember: just because you find someone in a parish register it doesn't automatically make them 'yours'.
    The Cornwall OPC site contain transcriptions. I would say that they are fairly accurate transcriptions but I know that even the most experienced transcribers can make mistakes so you should always (if possible) check the original document (or a filmed copy of it) yourself.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Settling in

Default RE Robarte Treweek

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    First of all, Cornwall is not a town in Sussex. Cornwall and Sussex are each a county in England.
    If John was born in England and Margery was born in the US, where did they marry?

Further information for John and Ann as his parents stated Robarde Traweek was christened using the name Robarte Treweeke on 31 May 1656 at the parish church in Camborne, Cornwall, England by his parents, John Treweeke and Ann Bernard./QUOTE]
    So if he was christened in 1656 where has the birthdate of 1668 come from?

You don't give the source of any of this information. Nor whether you found it, or whether you've copied it from somewhere.
    'Copying' is fine, provided you use it as a base to start your own research. Copying and using it as fact is likely to lead to lots of incorrect relatives.

Although parish registers began in England in 1538, most start at 1558, and, as you can probably imagine, in the intervening four hundred and fifty years since then quite a lot of them have been lost or greatly damaged due to damp, fire, mice, and plain carelessness. During the period 1649-1660 when England didn't have a king, not all the PRs were completed. However, Camborne PRs seem to have survived. I would suggest you check out https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/ which will enable you to confirm some details. correct others, and then add some.

Two things to remember: just because you find someone in a parish register it doesn't automatically make them 'yours'.
    The Cornwall OPC site contain transcriptions. I would say that they are fairly accurate transcriptions but I know that even the most experienced transcribers can make mistakes so you should always (if possible) check the original document (or a filmed copy of it) yourself.

Pam
    Robart was Born early 1656 andwas buried 2nd July 1656