Default George William Charles Aris

I wonder if anyone can help as I have hit the 'brick wall'. My granddad George William Charles Aris enlisted with the 8th battalion of the Kings Royal Rifles on 11th Dec 1915. He was discharged from the Winchester depot on 8th October 1918 as sick. From what I know he was gassed and never got over this and died of TB in 1931 when my mum was 4. I am desperately trying to find out his service record, where he was gassed etc but with no luck. His Regiment number was R31555. I was in Ypres for the centenary parade and laid a cross at the Menin gate for him by the list of the KRR soldiers who have no grave as I thought this was somehow fitting. I would rally appreciate any help in finding out more information about the granddad who I never knew.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unfortunately his service record seems to be one of the 60 percent of those which were destroyed during an air raid in World War 2.

You can however get a copy of his Silver War badge record, and medal rolls index card from Ancestry. If you go to the National Archives site you can search for the war diaries of his regiment, and that might give you information about where he served etc,

Have you ever thought about researching his non military life? That is something we could help you with.