Thread: Donald L Wilson

Witchypoo

Default Donald L Wilson

Can anyone help me I have not been on here for a while I am trying to obtain any information for Donald L Wilson I believe the record number is or was 14163420. I have found that his plan was shot down October 1943 in Schweinfurt Germany where he received a pow medal. His plane was called "Spare Parts" - 8th air force 94th bomb 332 bomb squad There were 8 other people I believe in the plane and it looks like gun turret officers or gunners This man from information I can find is Ball Turret. I briefly looked at nation archives but lost the will to live as I don't know what I was doing Can anyone help at all?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

What exactly are you trying to find out? Details of the plane crash, Donald's service records, or both?

His service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Here's the link to 'all you need to know' about applying for them.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-WW2-amp-after
    Note you will need his date of birth and/or service number, copy of his death certificate, permission from next of kin (unless you are said person) if Donald died less than twenty-five years ago, and thirty quid.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Witchypoo

Default Donald L Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    What exactly are you trying to find out? Details of the plane crash, Donald's service records, or both?

His service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Here's the link to 'all you need to know' about applying for them.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-WW2-amp-after
    Note you will need his date of birth and/or service number, copy of his death certificate, permission from next of kin (unless you are said person) if Donald died less than twenty-five years ago, and thirty quid.

Pam

Anything really ... I have a photo of him with the plane and colleagues i also a photo of the pow medal but not much else. I believe he was born around 1921 possibly Ohio He is married and was stationed in Bury S6t Edmunds around 1942 ()Now known as Rougham Air
    Last edited by Witchypoo; 12-11-2018 at 7:38 PM. Reason: added more information

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Ah, are you now saying that he was in the US air force? If so, scrub all the twaddle about the Ministry of Defence because that only applies to British personnel.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

I know very little about the RAF and even less about the USAF, so forgive me if you already have the following.

I've found a page about the 94th Bomb Group at
    https://www.
    8thafhs.org/bomber/94bg.htm

They also have a page of research advice - click Research Links in the menu at the top (it floats as you scroll down the page), then the top link for Research Help. There are lots of other links too which I haven't explored.

Witchypoo

Default Donald L Wilson

Sorry at the time of writing i didnt know that for certain ...

Witchypoo

Default Donald L Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    I know very little about the RAF and even less about the USAF, so forgive me if you already have the following.

I've found a page about the 94th Bomb Group at
    https://www.
    8thafhs.org/bomber/94bg.htm

They also have a page of research advice - click Research Links in the menu at the top (it floats as you scroll down the page), then the top link for Research Help. There are lots of other links too which I haven't explored.

Thank you for this I will add this to my information

Regards