+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colin Weedon

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Default Colin Weedon

Hi - - -I've been researching various branches of the family tree for about 10 years, having started with paper versions of many of them, with the original research being done in some cases by family members. Thankfully I now have all their hard work fully documented and safely digitally stored !!

There are 11 trees in all with a total of c3000 names.

I've run analysis on some of the trees to see which people would have been eligible for service in either WW1 or WW2. I now want to search Forces War Records to see if any of them actually did so !!

Hope this helps describe what I'm up to
    Colin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 2,236 Posts

Welcome to the British-Gnealogy forums Colin
    You do sound like a very oganised person and have not blindly taken the the research done by others as gospel.
    A couple of points. On Forces War Records look for the list of all the records they keep, click on Search at the top LH side and then on Collections from the drop down menu. it is the same on every site, not every site holds the same records and so it is that ancestry and Findmypast are the two sites licensed to make available WW1 service records (less than 40% survived bombing/fire in WW11) The medal roll index cards and Medal and award records do survive but very rarely have any personal information.
    WW11 service records are still held by the MoD.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

+ Reply to Thread