+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 2,236 Posts

Hi Pam
    I concede the point Pam
    So the M next to Agnes Levine's name is actually a middle initial?!
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Brick wall demolition expert!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 986 Posts

I don't know if you have used Ancestry for your research, but one of the data sets that they have is entitled "British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920" and on Frank's record he has again stated that he was born in New Southgate, London.

Ancestry has this function of offering up other records that it thinks may be connected with the one that you are looking at - sometimes its correct and other times it is widely inaccurate. One of the records offered up was the 1901 census for a 12 year old Frank Alfred Stanley Turner who was born in London, but was a pupil at a school in Surrey called the Reedham Asylum - school for fatherless children. Now whilst not suggesting that that was your Frank, something similar might have happened to him which might explain why he talked so little about his past.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Megan Roberts For This Useful Post:

MiltonRumata (13-11-2018)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change. Pam Downes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Pam
    I concede the point Pam
    So the M next to Agnes Levine's name is actually a middle initial?!
    Christina
    Yes, she was Agnes M. Mill before she married Israel Levine in 1937.

BG SLEUTHS - Please note these names are not connected to Frank Turner. They are part of an error correction as regards Frank's entry on the 1939 Register. See posts 7, 8, and 10.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I don't know if you have used Ancestry for your research, but one of the data sets that they have is entitled "British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920" and on Frank's record he has again stated that he was born in New Southgate, London.

Ancestry has this function of offering up other records that it thinks may be connected with the one that you are looking at - sometimes its correct and other times it is widely inaccurate. One of the records offered up was the 1901 census for a 12 year old Frank Alfred Stanley Turner who was born in London, but was a pupil at a school in Surrey called the Reedham Asylum - school for fatherless children. Now whilst not suggesting that that was your Frank, something similar might have happened to him which might explain why he talked so little about his past.

Thanks for alerting me to this feature. I had Ancestry for the free trial period but as I'd paid for Findmypast which seemed to produce better results I didn't bother continuing with Ancestry. Perhaps I should subscribe again so I can pursue this line of investigation. I think that's where I fear my investigation will end, concluding that he grew up in some kind of orphanage. Like you say, it would explain why he was so private/cryptic about his past.

What's giving me hope this wasn't the case is the fact that my grandparents actually visited the house in Crowborough at some point after he died. It's interesting as well that he bequeathed to my grandparents a solitary ornamental silver spoon and tray that bear initials which he claims he brought with him (I wonder if legally!!) from the house. The initials are very stylised and difficult to determine exactly which letters they represent but they certainly don't contain a T, so I wonder what this means in terms of the investigation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2