Default Henry Crossland, Denton Lincolnshire WW1

Hi,
    I'm looking for some help tracing my Grandfather-in-law, the family have few details of their ancestor.
    What we know:
    Henry Crossland (no middle name) born 1885 in Nottingham.
    Signed up for the Great War with other people from the village he lived in Denton, Lincolnshire.
    He was wounded and this had a great affect on his health and ultimately led to a premature death.

Now the questions:
    Firstly, where did the Denton people sign up?
    When did they sign up?
    Which Regiment / battalion etc where they sent to?
    Where can i find the original records (if available)?

Any help would be appreciated, it has taken me years to get this far trying to trace Henry and this is the bit in the middle that is missing. It would mean so much to my husband to have the details for the first time.

Thank you

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    My questions to you - did he survive the War, even though his health was damaged? And do you know his service number?

In the first years of the War, people volunteered when and where they thought it was appropriate. After that, they were conscripted, according to age and occupation.they sometime got their choice of regiment, especially in the early days of he War, but could be moved around, depending on the need. Only about a third of WW1 service records survived the fires of WW2. Those that have survived can be found on commercial genealogy sites.

Hi,
    Yes, he did survive and returned home dying in the 1930's of war related injuries.
    Have no idea of anything to do with his war years except where he came from and he was wounded. (needle in a haystack!)

I have found one record which looks promising but has few details to follow up on, unfortunately.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do you have details of Henry's parents, which might help in the identification of any records? Though as I see he was married in 1911, then more obviously Ada would be the person named in any documents.

I found one Henry Crossland born 1885, injured, on Findmypast, but he isn't yours as his address is Manchester and mother Elizabeth.
    Your Henry's mother is Annie/Hannah (nee Buckingham).

If you want more 'general' family history (as opposed to purely Henry's military details) then Findmypast (dot co dot uk) have all records free until noon on Monday. For census records, register, click search in the top banner and then select 'A-Z sets' from the dropdown menu. England
    /Wales/Scotland censuses are near the top of the index.
    Henry's birthplace is given as Beeston.

Approximately 70% of WWI service records were destroyed by fire and bombing, so you are lucky if you do find any.

It might be worth checking the newspapers on FMP.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam,

I have traced Henry through the census and have a family tree with many members included. Managed after lots of applications to get his death certificate to try to confirm the family lore of the tale of the him being wounded during the war, his death details helped towards this.
    It is purely his time during WW1 that I'm interested and when, where etc.

Did Henry and Ada have any children born during the war years. if so, if you're lucky, their birth certificate may show a regiment and even a service number.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

No children born during the war years...