Default Death Penny World War 1

Thank you for the opportunity to ask a question. We are a diasporic family and rarely see each other. My brother (18 years my senior) has just found a death penny for my Paternal Great Uncle (my father’s Mother’s brother). How do I find out about him? I know where he lived but have no idea in what unit he served. He had no middle name and I’m assuming the coin is WW1. His name is James Noone and he lived in the Stratford/Urmston are of Manchester. I have 30+ years of military service and this is (sadly) the first I have ever heard of an uncle who fell in the first war. Please advise where to go from here. Sadly, there is nobody alive who can remember him and my brother told me that our Grandmother was always too upset to talk about her baby brother. Thank you again for your time. If I can trace him with an actual thing that is tangible, I will then try and find my Maternal Grandfather who was POW in Al Kut. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I’m not too late. Thank you for your time. Lou.

Reputation beyond repute

Look him up on the Commonwealth War Graves site.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Is there a service number on the penny? As Peter said, he can be searched on the CWGC site, but it helps to have other details to make it easier to pick him out from otherswith the same name.
    As regards your known POW, was that also WW1? The International Red Cross have their WW1 card index online. Again, a name and service number would make a search possible. The URL is on my PC, I’ll post it when My PC is on.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Lou,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Thanks to Peter's hint, I found James Joseph, and I then found him in the 1911 census which explains his regiment.

If you move quickly, you can find a load of stuff for free.
    Census info on Findmypast (dot co dot uk) which is free until noon on Monday.
    Once registered, click search, and from the dropdown menu click 'A-Z records sets'.
    The England/Wales/Scotland censuses are near the top of the index.

In 1911 James is living in Halifax.

Service record available free on Ancestry (dot co dot uk) until 11.59pm Tuesday.
    Although it looks as if some sheets are duplicated, keep going till you come to the obvious end of his record.

Don't forget to download everything you find.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Forgot to add, try the newspapers on FMP as well.

Pam

Default Death Penny World War 1

Thank you all for replying. My Great Uncle was originally from County Galway and moved to (sic) “Widnes as a child.” There is no detail not the coin other than his first and last names (unfortunately). Thanks to your response (very quickly too when you consider I didn’t even know he existed until today and he’s been gone over 100 years), I have a starting point. Thank you again. Lou.

PS. Once I’ve got Jimmy Noone investigated, I’ll start on Grandad (sic) Joe (assume Joseph) Blair. Thanks again.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Private
    NOONE, JAMES JOSEPH
    Service Number 2499
    Died 22/04/1915
    Aged 25
    4th Bn.
    Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)
    Son of James and Ellen Noone, of 17, Gladstone Rd., Urmston, Manchester. Native of Widnes.

In the 1891 census James, aged 1, is shown as born and living in Widnes. Surname spelt Noon.
    Census reference RG12/3011 folio 95 page 56.

Can't easily find him in 1901.

Pam

Thank you all for your help. I’ve got to check this with the surviving Noone’s (i’m One of the last). Hopefully we’ve found him. Thank you all so much for your help.