Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Death Cert for William Phillips died 1921

I'm trying to locate the death certificate for William Phillips who died in February 1921 at the Prince of Wales Convalescent Centre Buttrills Camp, Barry Dock, Glamorgan. He had probably served in Royal Artillery in France. Family legend has it that he was gassed and was eventually admitted to the PoW Convalescent Centre. According to church records of his burial on February 12, 1921, he died at the Convalescent Centre. His home was in Tumble, Carmarthenshire, and he was buried at Llannon Church, Llannon. Records of the Centre which operated 1920 - 1924 are held at the National Archives in Kew, and I will be looking into obtaining a copy of those records. However, could someone advise me where I should go to obtain a copy of his death certificate? I'm brand new to this site and would appreciate any help. Thanks, John

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello John,

Welcome to British-Genealogy

I've moved your post to its own thread as it has nothing to do with the people named in the original one.

William Phillips was a popular name for deaths in the March quarter of 1921, with three people of that name registered in Cardiff registration district. You don't say how old William was, so I will let you do the looking.
    Start here https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    Select deaths, enter name, then March quarter and 1921 in the from and to boxes.
    Click 'find'.
    I've let you search for all deaths, just as a precaution, but you should find your man registered in Cardiff registration district. If you click on the district name you get a link to a list of all the places in that district, one of which is Barry.

There are two ways to order BMD certificates - either through the General Register Office (GRO) or through the local registrar's office. For people like yourself who are abroad the GRO is usually the easier and cheaper way.
    If you choose the GRO, for that year you have a further choice. A fancy certified copy of the certificate sent by post (£9.25), or a PDF copy sent electronically (£6.00). The latter has all the same details as the certified copy, but just doesn't look as posh.

For either, go to https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
    Click 'search historical'.
    You are then told to log in, under which there is a link for you to register - which you obviously have to do first.
    Then you can search.
    Obviously, you will know the year, quarter, registration district, so you can enter those.
    Beside the results you will see two boxes - one says PDF and the other says certificate.
    Decide which one you want, and click the relevant box. Then I think you get a 'double check' box saying which one you're ordering and you have to click to confirm that you're ordering the correct one. Then pay your money.

If you're wondering why I've sent you to FreeBMD in the first instance it's because the site provides you with extra information re the places in the registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This gives examples of the BMD certified copies
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ateInformation

PDF ones have all the details found in the central strip across the certificate, but are all in black and white.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”