Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Benjamin Moss and Nancy Elizabeth Moss(Gower)

I am looking for any information on my 5th great grandparents. It looks like they were both born in the United States, but they baptized their son Benjamin Leon Moss on April 8th 1855 at Homerton St. Barnabas Hackney England.
    My DNA says that I am 47% England/Wales/Scotland and 41% Ireland/Scotland. It seems the majority of my DNA is linked to just northeast of Birmingham, England and a number of places in both the Highlands and lowlands of Scotland. The majority of my Irish is located in Northern Ireland near Belfast.
    All of my great-grandfathers have fought in Americas wars all the way back to the revolutionary war. I myself am an Iraq war veteran.
    I am trying to write a book for my children and grandchildren about their family history, but I lose details as far as where my people come from exactly before America.
    My mothers side of the family is a bit easier. Her maiden name was Mills and that traces back to England and Scotland with a branch of them being part of the Maxwell's of Scotland.
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Shawn W. Moss
    SFC, U.S. Army (Retired)
    Colorado, USA

Hi
    What is the source for the baptism of Benjamin Leon.
    I can't find any reference to these family members on ancestry or findmypast. There are some public family trees on ancestry but they have Nancy Elizabeth dates as c1775-1821 or 1831 and Benjamin snr 1775-1815, marriage 6 Aug 1806 Davidson, Tennessee. A son Benjamin born ?
    Do you have dates for Benjamin snr and Nancy Elizabeth Gower because obviously the Nancy above can't be the mother of Benjamin Leon baptised 1855 in England unless it was a very late baptism.
    Who did Benjamin Leon marry and where?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a baptism for Benjamin Moss in Homerton,parents,Benjamin & Elizabeth on Ancestry whether it’s the correct Benjamin,I’m not sure.

If thesource I’ve posted isn’t allowed,apologies in advance!

London Metropolitan Archives; London, England; Board of Guardian Records, 1834-1906/Church of England Parish Registers, 1754-1906; Reference Number: P79/BAN1/004

The original baptism on the 8th April 1855 has Benjamin jnr with no middle name of Leon and his mother as Elizabeth. On the same day a daughter Ellen was baptised
    In the column for signature of who performed the baptism next to Benjamin's entry it appears to say "repeated? from 8 June 1847 and a similar entry on Ellen's but the date is 10 Oct? 1843
    Christina

Hi Pamela
    yes you can give the source and your own typed version of the contents as I have done.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

There is another childs baptism on the same page,WilliamMoss,same parents, repeated from 24 Jan 1849.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could it be 'reported born' followed by the actual dob?

If you look on previous pages, e.g.182, the phrase is written a little more clearly.

Thus, Ellen born 1843, Benjamin born 1847 and William born 1849.

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by swmoss View Post
    I am looking for any information on my 5th great grandparents. It looks like they were both born in the United States, but they baptized their son Benjamin Leon Moss on April 8th 1855 at Homerton St. Barnabas Hackney England
    Do I presume that you've found these people in the US census which says they were born in the US, with possibly Benjamin being born in England?
    Have you found any records regarding their return to the US?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Most of the info I have found has been thru ancestry.com. I linked my info through another line that matched. What I found for Benjamin Moss was that he was born in Virginia in 1775 and Nancy E. Moss (Gower) was born in Nashville 1775. Not sure if that info is correct or not. Benjamin L. Moss was born 1815 in Nashville. So Not sure what the correct info is.

Hi
    Relying on family trees on ancestry is a very unreliable process. A few are correct and others are just name gatherers that copy from each other and have no basis in reality.
    Let's start again from what you know to be the facts. Which of your ancestors are you absolutely sure are yours having worked back from you, your parents, grandparents, ggrandparents. gggrandparents etc.

Give us the names, birth dates and places, deaths etc of those furthest back that you are certain of and we will see what can be found.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Could it be 'reported born' followed by the actual dob?

If you look on previous pages, e.g.182, the phrase is written a little more clearly.

Thus, Ellen born 1843, Benjamin born 1847 and William born 1849.

Peter
    Thanks for this Peter - makes sense,
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast