Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can you help me identify this uniform please?

Hi

Im trying to find out a bit more about my great uncle's involvment in WW1.

Like so many men he never really spoke about his time so i know nothing about where he served, but found this picture of him and what i believe to be his battalion, its a postcard but has no other clues on it.

His name was Claude Reginald Victor Webb, he was born on 9th Feb 1892 in Paddington.

Ive looked at the military archives but im not sure if i'm looking at the right person, so i thought there might be a clue someone might spot from the picture.

Thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces records reading this explains the connection.

I have had a look on ancestry and the Medal Card Index has two Claude Webbs and a C Webb. One of the Claudes has the middle initial G and the C Webb has the middle initial F. That leaves Reginald Claude Webb so possibly your ancestor with his names transposed.
    The regiments of this Claude is the London Regiment and the 5th Royal Fusiliers. Service number 9929

The National Archives has some WW1 war diaries which will give you a general idea of where the regiments were and when but don't expect to see a mention of any soldiers other than those of high rank.

Be aware that more than 60% of service records from WW1 were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 and I can't see one for this Reginald Webb. So it may be that the only record you will find are the Medal Index Card and a record in the Medal and Award Rolls.

You could try googling the uniform the London regiment and the Royal Fusiliers to see if it is the same as in the photo.

Others will be along to help I am sure.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

The medal card for Reginald Claude Webb has an address on the reverse - in Ilford.

I believe Reginald Claude Webb and Claude Reginald Victor Webb were two different people. See the 1911 census where RC Webb is in Ilford and CRV Webb in St Marylebone.

Reputation beyond repute

I notice that in the 1911 census Claude Reginald Victor Webb was shown as a Railway Telegraphist for the GWR.

Might that have been a reserved occupation?

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Just to add to the post from Christina, the 10th London Regiment (Paddington Rifles) was disbanded in 1912 and personnel absorbed by 3rd (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). Both being TF Force.

Keith

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm no good at uniforms & regiments - although the bandoliers suggest heavy artillery. Perhaps the RGA? Can you get a close-up on a cap badge?

The presence of females suggests that this is not a "battalion photo" - more probably a family (a wedding?) group.

Jane

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for your reply's.

I know he did work for the railways but im 100% sure he was very active in WW1 and i know for a fact that he went abroad. I know this because he actually went missing for a bit and my nan was beside herself with worry because they were very close and he used to write her letters and she hadn't received any for months, then all of a sudden she had a dream about him woke up, went running downstairs and all his letters had been delivered, they were all tied up in a little pile on the doorstep mat. Very touching story that my mum has always referred to.

I've zoomed in on him to get a closer look, unfortunately the way hes standing you cant see his hat but i have no idea where the picture was taken or what for or who the women are in the photo. It wasn't a wedding because its an actual postcard he sent to my nan informing her of an uncles death and i cant see him sending a wedding picture to inform her of sad news. My aunt said he had loads of them taken from when he was in the army and just used it as it was left over...

Is it possible to get a closer look at the hat badges on the two men wearing them?

Just been doing a little reading about WW1 postcards which led me to a reference to bandolier andd who wore them -"A man wearing a bandolier or spurs, would usually indicate his involvement with horses, perhaps cavalry or artillery driver."
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Is it possible to get a closer look at the hat badges on the two men wearing them?

Just been doing a little reading about WW1 postcards which led me to a reference to bandolier andd who wore them -"A man wearing a bandolier or spurs, would usually indicate his involvement with horses, perhaps cavalry or artillery driver."
    Christina
    Oh...thats very interesting!

Heres a closeup of the hat:

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The cap badges could be royal artillery, but you need a higher resolution photo to look at them - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Artillery

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast