Cool WW1 Essex Regiment, my grandad my hero!

Good day to all who read this.
    Quite simply, I am trying to find info and names, places etc. On my Grandfathers travels in WW1.
    He served with the Essex Regiments. 286th. In Egypt and Turkey from what I can tell.
    His name was Stanley Ernest Hixson, from south London, Merton area. Born 8/7/1898 and survived the war.
    Becoming a Butcher at Londons Smithfields Market along with most his brothers, Hixson still there today.
    As a child I can remember him talking openly to me, presumably too young to take it in, not talking to others about the subject. I recall small details, evacuating Gallipoli and bell tents, this is where it begins, I have medals, service paperwork and yet find very little, he would have been too young, I have the paper work of him being told/ sent home as not yet 18 and 8 months. Two service numbers, entry and exam at Streatham school of signallers. Demob from the camp at Suez etc. His hat and tunic badges, even his photo in uniform and the large carbon print, I just need to fill in the gaps.
    He was my Grandad and still my Hero.
    Can anyone help please.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    About 2/3 of WW1sevice records were lost to fire during WW1. Surviving records can be found on some of the commercial genealogy sites. Many people are lucky, however.
    You have given us a lot of information (thank you) but have missed out the most useful - his service numbers. It’s not unusual to have had more than one, but they are very useful in pinpointing the correct person.

Reputation beyond repute

As Lesley says, more information required. Was his address 17 Undine Street, Tooting?

Reputation beyond repute

Stanley Ernest Hixson appears to have been the son of Charles Hixson , a joiner, and Mary Ann.

If the FMP document relates to him, he was conscripted and attested in Feb 1917 which of course was well after the Gallipoli evacuation.

Dundee10

Is this his medal card?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D2888798

This and the medal and award roll can be viewed on Ancestry.

Hi all,
    Thank you, yes Stan was the son of a Cabinet maker, Joiner, he followed in to the family business after the war, fitting out bank of england counters which im lead to believe was also Lloyds. He later joined a firm in Smithfield meat market and was with them until his retirement.
    He had four brothers and a sister, Charles, Thomas, George, Took? And Blanche.
    I will get papers out tonight from storage.
    The Medals I have, not sure about the card, so thanks for that, will have to down load it.
    My journey continues.......

Have a look at the rim of the medals, they should give his service number, which I see that you have still not provided. It's the only way to be certain we have the right man.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The 1/4,1/5, 1/6 and 1/7 Battalions of the Essex Regiment fought in Gallipoli. Evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Mudros, going on to
    Alexandria 17 December 1915. Remained in Egypt/Palestine theatre thereafter.

They were part of the 161st Brigade in 54th (East Anglian) Division.

If you go to the site Long, Long Trail it will give the history of the %4th Divison.

Keith

Ok, his service number would appear to have been 23336 and shows service from 14-20.
    My other grandfather service show as 17-19, which I know is correct. He served under age, was shot, turned of age in hospital and went back to the front.
    Question is, is his low service number an indication of early join up?
    I remember he was a signaller, he taught me semifore and could read the totes at the horse races.

Reputation beyond repute

Is the service number from the medal?