falconer

Default Advice on Marriage Duplicate

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can advise on an issue that arose today. Using FreeBMD I searched for a marriage of Faith R Dxxxxx in 1966. I found it but when I viewed it she appears to have married two different men in the same Qtr.
    I checked the scan and it has been transcribed correcty. I thought perhaps she married one of them who then died shortly afterwards, and then she hurried back and married the other one the same Qtr! I cannot find any of the two listed husbands deaths. Any thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 07-11-2018 at 9:52 AM. Reason: surname blanked as the lady is probably still alive

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The first name of both grooms is John. One of the surnames is very German-sounding, and I would suspect that at one stage he became a naturalised Briton, and adopted an English surname. I know from an instance in hubby's family that if you have been known by two different names that both are recorded on your marriage certificate. I suspect that this was the case here.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Where a person is shown with more than one name on an entry e.g. "John X otherwise John Y" then the entry is indexed under both of the names.

A single entry in the register can generate a number of separate entries in the index.

Reputation beyond repute

The purpose of the index is to help you order certificates. If you order the certificate. you'll find the answer.