Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello from Montevideo, Uruguay

Hello all.

Thank you to all those who put the hard work into to make this forum possible. I am new to it and so intro myself.f I am ex RN. I then went on to do other things. Time in the Middle East, then Belgium, From there to Bolivia, South America and currently in Montevideo, Uruguay.

I am looking into the service records of my father who served in the 8th Army, WW2 and his father, my grandfather, who I understand served in WW1 Army but no more detail other than an address for him. So I hope to trace his service. We all share the same name, Frederick.

Again thank you to all who make this forum possible.

Hi Frederick it was interesting to read your introduction after reading your reply to mine I hope that you manage to find all of the answers that you are looking for good luck Barry

Brick wall demolition expert!

World War 2 records are still held by the MOD. The link below will give you far more details about that and how you can apply for them.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

World War 1 records - 60 percent of these were destroyed during the Blitz in World War 2. Those that have survived can be found on pay to view sites like Ancestry.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Megan.

Thank you for your message. To expand a little on my position, I am Frederick Shaw, born 1960. My father was Frederick Shaw born 1919 and his Father was Frederick Shaw . dob unknown I have quite a few items of my father’s, who served in WW2, 8th army, tank corps. His medals, service book lots of photos. So applying for his records should be quite straight forward. It is his Father , my grandfather that I am now trying to trace and his service record.
    We know very little about him. My father passed away in 1973, and didn’t talk about his mother and or father. Circumstances s being my father was born in Salford , Manchester, UK in 1919. The little detail we have is, he was taken into care when he was 3 years old together with his brother who was 18 months old. The home was Culcheth Cottage Homes , Salford . They were separated and so he didn’t know he had a brother until much later in his life when he and my mother did a little research on his background but then decided to go no further.
    We understand he was taken into care as his mother died in Hope hospital Manchester when my dad and his bother little. His father was not around and so we have no details of his father only what is shown on my father’s birth certificate.
    That his father, my grandfather was named Frederick Shaw. That the address at that time was 40 King William Street , Salford, Manchester England and that his father’s occupation was shown as ‘ soldier’.
    My dad’s mother was named as Elizabeth Ann Shaw ( nee Callaghan) on that birth certificate.
    My assumption is that he, my grandfather must have served in WW1, having had a son born in 1919, my dad and shown on that birth certificate as having an occupation as Soldier..
    So armed with just name , occupation and an address in 1919 I am trying to trace more detail about my grandfather.. Frederick Shaw… do you have any suggested lines of enquiry that I could take which may help ? I have read a few posts on here and have learnt that 60% of war records from WW1 were destroyed.
    Thank you again for your message. Rick (Frederick) my dad got Fred and I got the back end.. Rick and with the surname of Shaw it has stayed with me.

Your grandparents married in Salford at the end of 1917. You should get their marriage certificate because it might tell you his age, or just that he was an adult, but it will tell you who his father was which might let you pin him down in a census. Also if he was in the army then you might get a service number mentioned.

You can order certificates online from the General Registry Office at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ and the details that you need are Salford December quarter 1917 Volume 8D Page 124.

Have you ever thought of contacting the children's home /local authority to see if they have a file on your father? This might have information about your grandfather in it.
    Peter Higginbotham, who is acknowledged as the expert on work houses, has now set up a similar site a about children's homes and that would be a good place to start.
    https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Megan.
    Again thank you for your advice and direction. I see you are from Lancashire, I too am from that fine county. Born near Ormskirk and then lived in Newburgh before moving when I joined the navy.

I will do as you suggest and try those lines… Thank you again I learn as I read through this forum which is proving to be a great help.
    Concerning Culcheth cottage homes I have tried but the place, I visited it and the large houses that made up the home are now private houses and I can’t find where the records are held. Thank you Rick

Rick
    I am glad to help, particularly on a bleak Chorley November morning!!

If you get their marriage certificate it would worth letting us know what it says as you might have realised this site has genealogy addicts who would be more than happy to help in the hunt for your grandfather.

Megan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Megan.

I have written to the gro and asked if they can send a copy to me attached to an email as I am here in UY at the moment and will be for a while. I have addresses I the uk but electronic copy would be best for me. I will wait to see what they say. I hope it is ok , I have also sent you a pvt message on the matter rather than clog the general forum. Montevideo could never be a substitute for Chorley but the sun is out here cracking the flags. Thanks Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Frederickjps View Post
    Megan.
    Again thank you for your advice and direction. I see you are from Lancashire, I too am from that fine county. Born near Ormskirk and then lived in Newburgh before moving when I joined the navy.

I will do as you suggest and try those lines… Thank you again I learn as I read through this forum which is proving to be a great help.
    Concerning Culcheth cottage homes I have tried but the place, I visited it and the large houses that made up the home are now private houses and I can’t find where the records are held. Thank you Rick
    This guide at The National Archives site says the records for Culcheth Cottage Homes are held at Greater Manchester County Record Office (with Manchester Archives). it gives the link.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...8-7cc2b91fbc3a
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs