Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

The 1939 register has transcribed James R G birthdate as Jan 18 1924 and under school age! Image is badly written and looks like 1936.There is also a brother Charles W E Buckley Oct 5 1932.

I think that he had four siblings one called Neville Buckley I believe he was born in 1940 and Trevor Maurice born in 1949 am unsure about anything else or any of his brothers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofaveteran81 View Post
    Thankyou very much you have told me something that I didn't know I was actually completely unaware of this which has left me rather confused as we always thought that he was born in 1936 how can I find his birth records as don't have a clue where to find anything
    Barry, as you will have seen from my reply to Christina, there's nothing to worry about.

BMD certificates are usually ordered direct from the GRO. The only other place to order them from is the local register office for the district in which an event was registered. Locally-ordered certificates can cost a little more than from the GRO, but because they are first-hand copies should be prone to less mistakes than those from the GRO which are copies of the entries in the local offices.

GRO page needed to register and log in.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp

Link to all the local registrars offices in England and Wales.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/ci...RegOffice2#003
    Some of the offices have websites and you can order certificates online. Note that the references on the GRO Index are not the same as those used by the local offices (and obviously vice versa).

Most, but not all, GRO references prior to 1 January 1984 can be found for free on FreeBMD. (It's still a work in progress.)
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk
    The GRO Index to the end of September quarter 2007 can be found on Findmypast (FMP). Ancestry have the GRO Index to the end of 2005, but it's in two sections 1837-1915 and 1916-2005.

You will often see 'order your certificate here' on websites but don't bother to click. They all have to order them from the GRO/local registrar's office and will charge you an arm and a leg to do so. (e.g. Ancestry charge £22.99) It costs them the same as you have to pay - £9.25

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofaveteran81 View Post
    I think that he had four siblings one called Neville Buckley I believe he was born in 1940 and Trevor Maurice born in 1949 am unsure about anything else or any of his brothers
    Bit of practice for you.
    First of all, search FreeBMD for the marriage of James' parents.
    Then search FreeBMD for births with surname of Buckley and mother's maiden name of Shelton from the year of marriage through to say 1955. (If Alice was born 1905, she'd be 50 in 1955, and though probably still able to have children unlikely to do so.)
    Look at the results and don't get misled by them. Think what they probably mean, especially 1940. (No more clues, you'll have to work it out for yourself!)

Next lesson to follow after you've completed stage one.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Bit of practice for you.
    First of all, search FreeBMD for the marriage of James' parents.
    Then search FreeBMD for births with surname of Buckley and mother's maiden name of Shelton from the year of marriage through to say 1955. (If Alice was born 1905, she'd be 50 in 1955, and though probably still able to have children unlikely to do so.)
    Look at the results and don't get misled by them. Think what they probably mean, especially 1940. (No more clues, you'll have to work it out for yourself!)

Next lesson to follow after you've completed stage one.

Pam
    Rats. Forget about finding a marriage for John and Alice. I can't find one at the moment anywhere. Will investigate further.
    Just look for the births.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Rats. Forget about finding a marriage for John and Alice. I can't find one at the moment anywhere. Will investigate further.
    Just look for the births.

Pam
    Perhaps John and Alice never got around to marrying?

Deaths Dec 1975
    SHELTON ALICE MURKETT, born 22 DEC 1905 MANCHESTER 38 740

The 1939 register gives Alice's birth date as 22 Dec 1905.

I haven't found a birth registration for Alice.
    Alma

This must be the one. It is the right registration qrt for a Dec 1905 birth as folks were given six weeks to register a birth.

SHELTON, ALICE, Mother's maiden name MARKETT
    GRO Reference: 1906 March Quarter in BEDFORD Volume 03B Page 284
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

Deaths Dec 1975

The death has been indexed in the name Buckley too!

Name: Alice Murkett Buckley
    Death Age: 70
    Birth Date: 22 Dec 1905
    Registration Date: Dec 1975
    Registration district: Manchester
    Inferred County: Greater Manchester
    Volume: 38
    Page: 0740

There's a lot more to find on Alice's folks, and the search involves twists and turns! Unsure if you're ready to research Alice Murkett Shelton/Buckley's ancestry yet (perhaps you've already made a start on her ancestry), or if you want to concentrate on James Ronald George Buckley's ancestry first? Reading back through the thread it does seem that you've done a fair bit of research on James' ancestry and are mainly interested in his Army days.
    Alma

His name was: James Ronald George Buckley
    Born: 18/1/1936
    Place: Heywood Lancashire
    married: Dorothy Shelton
    Shelton is a typo, I think. Dorothy's surname was Burywood

Marriages Mar 1957, BUCKLEY James R G, BURYWOOD Dorothy, Barton 10b 446
    Alma

Deaths Dec 1975

The death has been indexed in the name Buckley too!

Name: Alice Murkett Buckley
    Death Age: 70
    Birth Date: 22 Dec 1905
    Registration Date: Dec 1975
    Registration district: Manchester
    Inferred County: Greater Manchester
    Volume: 38
    Page: 0740

There's a lot more to find on Alice's folks, and the search involves twists and turns! Unsure if you're ready to research Alice Murkett Shelton/Buckley's ancestry yet (perhaps you've already made a start on her ancestry), or if you want to concentrate on James Ronald George Buckley's ancestry first? Reading back through the thread it does seem that you've done a fair bit of research on James' ancestry and are mainly interested in his Army days.
    One of the perks of being a mod is the ability to delete a post which makes you look an idiot , so after properly re-reading Alma's posts I deleted my waffle about Alice possibly being a widow when she married John. To me, the fact that Alice's death is registered under both Shelton and Buckley is proof that they didn't marry.

Once again, brilliant detective work, Alma.

Pam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast