Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This is my brickwall

Hi my name is Barry I'm trying to surprise my partner as she has been trying to trace her grandfather but with no success as she doesn't have any family to ask about him so things are pretty vague
    His name was: James Ronald George Buckley
    Born: 18/1/1936
    Place: Heywood Lancashire
    married: Dorothy Shelton
    His father's name: John William Buckley 1895-1976
    His mother's name: Alice murkett Shelton 1905-1975

I have been made aware that JAMES RONALD GEORGE BUCKLEY was a STAFF SERGEANT and have been led to believe that he served in the royal engineers and whilst serving toured Singapore Malaysia and Malta and possibly other places as well as these.
    I am trying to get as much information about him as I can but have hit a brickwall and can't seem to break it or climb over it so if you have any ideas or suggestions please feel free to let me know thanks in advance Barry
    Last edited by Sonofaveteran81; 05-11-2018 at 6:31 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Barry
    Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you came to us via Forces War Records this explains our connection.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...WR-forum-links

Firstly, service records for personnel who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. This post gives you all the details and links necessary to apply for those records.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757
    Going by my recent experience the waiting time for receiving records is about seven weeks.

More to follow after a little more investigation.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

I can see the family on 1939 register. Is this what your looking for or more his service records?

Hi pam many thanks for pointing me in the right direction that I need to be going it is a great help I am trying to.find more his service records as managed to find out a fair bit about the rest of his family but just not the military side of things which is something my partner has been looking for. Again I really appreciate your help with pointing me in the right direction many thanks Barry

Ok, my next question was going to be about how much you already know about other members of the family, and what else you want to know, so I'll stop looking for the moment, and wait for you to ask specific questions.

Pam

Hi i have managed to find out quite a lot about the family from great uncles to great great great grandparents and have also found great uncles as well but your help is much appreciated and I am really grateful for it again many thanks Barry

Hi
    This is his birth reg, Take note it says his birth reregistered 1936. What does this mean? Pam?
    James R G Buckley
    Registration Date: 1936
    Registration district: Heywood Lancashire
    Re-registration Year: 1936
    Mother's maiden name Shelton
    Vol 8c Page 625

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thankyou very much you have told me something that I didn't know I was actually completely unaware of this which has left me rather confused as we always thought that he was born in 1936 how can I find his birth records as don't have a clue where to find anything

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    This is his birth reg, Take note it says his birth reregistered 1936. What does this mean? Pam?
    James R G Buckley
    Registration Date: 1936
    Registration district: Heywood Lancashire
    Re-registration Year: 1936
    Mother's maiden name Shelton
    Vol 8c Page 625

Christina
    That re-registration is something that's only on Ancestry, and IMO is simply designed to cause confusion. I suspect that someone found a birth that had been re-registered (e.g. when parents had married after the birth and wanted to legitimise their child) and instead of sorting out some of their appalling transcriptions Ancestry threw money at putting a re- registration box at the bottom of the search page.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast