Thread: Henry Springett

Default Henry Springett

I’m trying to trace family history and have been given an original postcard sent home by my Great Grandfather, Henry Springett (born 1888 Maidstone, Kent). Can’t identify regiment. With this photo were commerative postcards which he appears on. Like so many returning from the war his experiences were never talked about so we have no information. Would appreciate some assistance

Hi huttc008,

Welcome to the Brit-Gen Forums I'm no expert on military uniforms, but one or more of our members more knowledgeable may be able to identify Henry's uniform. I looked on both Ancestry and FMP for Henry's service records but didn't find them, unfortunately only about 40% of WW1 service records have survived, see here https://www.greatwar.co.uk/research/m...ce-records.htm

Do you have Henry on census returns, if not they can be posted here for you. There is a Henry Springett of the right age (3yrs and 13yrs) living with grandparents in 1891 and 1901. His birth registration has no mother's maiden name listed which usually indicates an illegitimate birth. I found a christening with the middle name Thomas, is Henry Thomas Springett your great grandfather? Christened St Peter's Maidstone 5th Feb 1890, born 28th May 1887, mother Sarah Springett.

Is your Great Grandmother's name Clara? There's a Henry Springett on the 1939 register born 28th May 1887, a boiler maker plater, and his wife Clara born 24 Feb 1887, they're living at 25 Walton Gardens , Grantham M.B., Lincolnshire.

This could be their marriage.

Marriages Mar 1913
    Springett Henry, Clara Tingley Medway 2a 1188

There is birth registration which could be a child of Henry and Clara.

Births Jun 1914
    Springett Clara P, Mother's maiden name Tingley, Farnham 2a 283

Perhaps you already have all the above, if it's the correct Henry? If so, are you just trying to find Henry's regiment?
    Alma

Thank you. I have census records and confirm that my Great grandmother is Clara Tingly, they had a daughter, also Clara. She was born whilst he was stationed in Aldershot. He left the army after the war and in 1934 moved to Grantham until Clara's death in 1954. Henry then returned to Kent to live with his daughter and her family, her married name then Was Wigley. I would like to identify his WW1 journey and roll he played. I have managed to find out he was in the Army Serice Corps. I would be grateful for any help and guidance. I am awaiting a response to help from Aldershot Militay Museum. Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Access to military records on both Ancestry and Findmypast is free this weekend, so have you searched for any records for him?
    Sadly, more than two-thirds of service records for personnel who served in WWI were later destroyed by fire and bombing, so if you do find those you're very lucky. Other types of records do exist though.
    War diaries for the various regiments can be found in The National Archives at Kew.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you, I’ve been on those sites. Unfortunately there don’t appear to be surviving records ��. I would love to get a sence of what role he might have played in the war and where he may have been posted