Default finding missing records

we have 4 WW2 medals, service number, name, but are unable to find any records with FWR. Any help much appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    I think you have come to us from FWR so reading this will explain why.
    You will not find any WW11 service records anywhere on line as they are still held by the MoD. They can be applied for but you need a date of death for the individual. This 'sticky' explains about WW11 and gives links to application forms and explanations of who is entitled to information and how much of it.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

You will also need a Date of Birth to obtain the records. A Service Number on its own is not sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    You will also need a Date of Birth to obtain the records. A Service Number on its own is not sufficient.
    I have always been under the impression that a service number is not required and neither is a date of birth. It is the death certificate that is required (which will give the date of birth)
    From the MoD forms
    "Subject to the payment of an administration fee of £30 per record and provision of a death certificate (except where death was in service), certain information can be provided from the records of service of service personnel on request under the publication scheme."
    Christina
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I have always been under the impression that a service number is not required and neither is a date of birth. It is the death certificate that is required (which will give the date of birth)
    From the MoD forms
    "Subject to the payment of an administration fee of £30 per record and provision of a death certificate (except where death was in service), certain information can be provided from the records of service of service personnel on request under the publication scheme."
    Christina
    . The SEARCH DOCUMENT Application Part 2 - Army Specific has asterisks against Service Number and Date of Birth, the bottom of that section has:- *SERVICE NUMBER AND/OR DATE OF BIRTH MUST BE INCLUDED

I take this to mean that DoB must be supplied but that a service number is optional.

On the RAF specific form it states:- It is essential that you complete this form as fully and accurately as possible.
    It then asks for:- Official Service Number, National Insurance Number and DoB. (amongst other details)

I will concede that it doesn't demand any specific info.

The Death Cert only gives DoB if issued after 1969, before that only Age was given.

Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm
    Thanks for giving me the specific references. A lack of concentration led to a lot of eye rolling on my part. Thanks again
    Christina
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Malcolm
    Thanks for giving me the specific references. A lack of concentration led to a lot of eye rolling on my part. Thanks again
    Christina
    Hi Christina,
    You're welcome.
    I was going to put it down to late nights/early mornings then realised you're 12hrs ahead, so that excuse won't work.
    Oh well, c'st last vie.
    Regards,
    Malcolm.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    . The SEARCH DOCUMENT Application Part 2 - Army Specific has asterisks against Service Number and Date of Birth, the bottom of that section has:- *SERVICE NUMBER AND/OR DATE OF BIRTH MUST BE INCLUDED

I take this to mean that DoB must be supplied but that a service number is optional.
    A dictionary definition of AND/OR found by a web search agrees with what I have always taken it to mean, i.e you must supply one or the other but can supply both.