Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hughes family

Default Hughes family

I am having trouble finding any information locating a place of residence in pembrokeshire, my grandad was welsh ( Thomas Hughes and his father Lewis Hughes ) i need some help locating what i think was the place of residence it was called Galgate Hall Farm, i am new to this and only going of family information the Hughes family moved and settled in warrington, Lancashire,

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do we presume that as you 'are new to this' that you haven't as yet found any relatives in a census, or the 1939 Register?
    So we'll start with granddad. Do you know when he was born? Was he married by 1939, and if so, what's his wife name and birthdate? Were they likely to be in Warrington in 1939, or still in Wales?
    (Though having just done a quick google search while I'm typing, Wales might be a red herring as it seems there's a place called Galgate near Lancaster.)

Anyway, for the moment, we'll concentrate on trying to find grandad in 1939, and then work our way back.
    Anything else you can tell us about grandad, and his dad, re ages, where they were definitely living at a certain time (e.g. living in Warrington in 1950 because your mum or dad was born there) will help.
    Remember not to mention living people.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam, thanx for your reply, grandad thomas hughes was born in warrington but his father Lewis Hughes was born in wales mum is elderly and remembers they came came to warrington from a farm in Machynlleth early 1900,s

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

We need the years Thomas was born, married, died, and if possible the same for Lewis.
    There's no Lewis Hughes in Warrington in 1911 or 1939, and although I would estimate at least half of them would be too old to be your grandfather there are fourteen Thomas Hughes in Warrington in 1939.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could Galgate be Gogarth?

1891 Census at Gogarth Hall, Bryneithin, Towyn, Machynlleth, Merionethshire, Wales
    L James HUGHES head, married, 31, farmer, Merionethshire
    Ellen HUGHES wife, married, 35, Merionethshire
    Catherine Julian HUGHES dau, 0, Merionethshire
    Edmond WILLIAMS servant, single, 17, farm servant, Montgomeryshire
    Catherine Elizabeth WILLIAMS servant, single, 17, domestice servant, Yorkshire

1901 Census at Gorath Hall Farm, Towyn (Merioneth), Machynlleth, Merionethshire, Wales
    Lewis James HUGHES head, married, 41, farmer, Towyn, Merionethshire
    Ellen HUGHES wife, married, 44, Towyn
    Hugh James HUGHES, son ,8, Towyn
    Lane Ellen HUGHES, dau, 4, Towyn
    Edmond WILLIAMS, servant, married, 26, cattleman, Llanwyddelan, Montgomeryshire

Image reads Gogarth.

Gogarth Hall Farm is about midway between Machynlleth and Towyn on the A493.

1911 Census at Gogarth Hall Pennal Machynlleth, Towyn, Merionethshire, Wales
    Lewis James HUGHES head, married 51, farmer, Towyn
    Ellen HUGHES wife, married, 55, Towyn
    Catherine Julian HUGHES dau, single, 20, farmer's dairy work, Towyn
    Hugh James HUGHES son, single, 18, farmer's son working, Towyn
    Jane Ellen HUGHES dau, single, 14, farmer's daughter assisting housework, Towyn
    Jane Ellen THOMAS niece, single, 42, farmer's niece assisting, Towyn

Lewis and Ellen married 23 years, 3 children, all living.

This may be a suitable marriage for Lewis and Ellen, although I haven't found a birth in Warrington for a Thomas HUGHES with a mother's maiden name MORGAN.

Lewis James HUGHES m. Ellen MORGAN 1887 Bangor, Q2 11b 745

Peter

Oakwood, I see your surnames of interest are Clarke, Hughes and Carrington.

Using those surnames I'm wondering if your grandparents are Thomas S Hughes and Lily Carrington who married in Warrington 1930? And if so, do you know what Thomas' middle name is?

As Pam has said, we need some dates please, even if only approximate.
    Alma

Default Fantastic !

i am so excited thank you so much for the information it has really got me started into the history of our familys welsh background i will get back soon as i can with some dates if poss my mother is elderly and her memory is sketchy the you have all given me hope of finding some answers Gogarth farm is a defo clue my aunty said they came from farming background , speak soon

yes that is them my grandads middle name is ( Lewis )

Default mistake

sorry my grandads middle name was Stanley !

Dundee10

You have a few generations to go back before you get to Wales. Thomas Stanley HUGHES was born in 1906 in the Runcorn district of Cheshire.

HUGHES, THOMAS STANLEY
    Mother's maiden surname: STRINGER
    GRO Reference: 1906 J Quarter in RUNCORN Volume 08A Page 211

His baptism:

Name Thomas Stanley Hughes
    Event Date 15 Apr 1906
    Event Place St Thomas, Stockton-Heath, Cheshire, England
    Gender Male
    Birth Date 28 Feb 1906
    Father's Name Lewis HUGHES
    Mother's Name Annie HUGHES

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3V8-GYL

In 1939 he is named as Stanley T. HUGHES and is with Lily in Warrington (first name looks more like 'Stanby' and is indexed that way by Ancestry). He says he was born in 1906.

In 1911 he was living with his parents and siblings in Stockton Heath. Lewis was born in Warrington, Annie in Walton, Cheshire, and the children in Stockton Heath.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW37-9JL

Lewis and Annie were married in 1905 in Warrington. Lewis's father is named as John HUGHES and Annie's as Samuel STRINGER.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast