Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hughes family

Dundee10

Just jumping backwards to try and find an answer to your question about 'Galgate Hall Farm' - I don't know what the farming connection would be. Lewis and Thomas were both Plumbers and Lewis's father John was a Joiner born in Merionethshire around 1843. When John married Lewis's mother Margaret BUTLER in 1873 in Liverpool he named his father as James HUGHES, a Builder.

I also had a quick look at the STRINGER and CARRINGTON families and there is no farming connection there either.

Dundee10

I have the relationship between your family and the one posted by Peter in reply #5.

Lewis James HUGHES of Gogarth Hall Farm was born in 1860, the son of James HUGHES, a house builder, and Catherine JULIAN.

HUGHES, LEWIS JAMES
    Mother's maiden surname: JULIAN
    GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in MACHYNLLETH Volume 11B Page 190

Your Lewis's father John HUGHES was Lewis James's brother.

HUGHES, JOHN
    Mother's maiden surname: JULIAN
    GRO Reference: 1844 S Quarter in MACHYNLLETH Volume 27 Page 92

Lewis James was a very late baby, the mother Catherine was 44, but there is always the possibility that he was actually a grandson. James and Catherine's daughter Margaret was aged 22 and single at the time.

the plumber connection is the right line my great aunt remembers a house in Stockton heath with the sign hughes the plumber !

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can see that you are just starting out on this additive pastime of family history and that others have already given you some leads.

It is really important that you sit down with your mum and just get her to talk about her family, and you make notes, because you will be amazed how much information you can glean from that. I can remember sitting there with my Dad and drawing up a handwritten tree, and although there were lots of things that weren’t right on it, such as the order of his uncles and aunts and how many children each of them had, it provided me with a framework to start from and to build on.

I have learnt to verify as much as I can using birth, marriage and death certificates, as well as the censuses etc. If you are not certain of what these things are or where they can be found, well we are here to help, but there are some really helpful guides that can be downloaded for free from the National Archives : https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...family-history

If you don’t currently have a subscription to any of the major research websites such as Ancestry or Findmypast then there various free alternatives, but not on one site, and also many libraries offer free access to Ancestry and Findmypast.

Now that you’re looking at Welsh family history you might also want to look that National Library of Wales site: https://www.library.wales/index.php?id=1
    On that site you can Welsh wills before 1858 (for a fee), and Welsh newspapers up to 1919 free of charge, as well as many other things.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I see from Dundee10’s post #12 that one of your ancestors was a Catherine JULIAN in Merionethshire. “Julian” is unsurprisingly not a common name in that part of the world, unlike “Hughes”, so I have been able to find her marriage:

She and James Hughes married 16 June 1838 in the parish church of TOWYN. They were both single, he was joiner and she a servant. His father was James Hughes a “tradesman” and hers Thomas Julian a labourer. The witnesses with Robert Edwards and Thomas Julian. All of them were able to sign their names.

A Catherine Julian was baptised in Towyn 13 April 1817 the daughter of Thomas Julian and Mably David. Thomas was farmer and they lived at, what looks like, Borthcittie, except that whilst the first part “Borth” looks right from a Welsh perspective, the second part doesn’t.

Thomas Julian, a widower, married Mably David a spinster 11 February 1814 in the parish church of TOWYN. Neither was able to sign their name.

Thomas Julian was buried 9 January 1843 aged 71 in Towyn. Mably Julian was buried 19 March 1856 aged 76 in Towyn

Default thank you

i am over the moon with all your replies your hard work is truly amazing i can now start to put down all the information i a have got !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12