Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Clement Shattock

So, I'm having some trouble finding out about my 3rd great grandfather Clement. What I want to know is where and when he may of been born (and died), the surname of his wife (Eliza) and when he married.

What I know so far:

- Was a Sailor
    - Must've lived in Bristol for some time (both of his children were born there, as was his wife)
    - Died sometime between 1876 and 1899

Unfortunately, the only evidence I have is on a couple of certificates; the 1881 census (in which his wife and children Albert and Kate are in) and Kate's marriage certificate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Things I've tried so far:

Searching for both his children's baptism records, even at Bristol Archives (no luck, sadly)

Searching high and low for naval / civilian sailor records (including the National Archive sites)

Searching on Ancestry, FamilySearch and other genealogy sites

Searching for any BMD information on FreeBMD

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello NettleBranches,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Just to make sure we're looking at the correct family can you confirm that these are your Eliza, Albert and Kate in 1881?
    Census ref RG11/2471 folio 77 page 17
    Living
    Brunswick Square, St Pauls, Bristol.
    George A Muttlebury, head, 50, commission agent
    Caroline, wife, 25
    Albert, son, 4,
    Eliza Shattock, sis in law, mar, 29, seamstress
    Albert, nephew, 11, scholar
    Kate, niece, 5, scholar
    George born Bath, everyone else born Bristol.
    George's surname open to any number of variants, because I can't find a marriage for George nor a birth for Albert with that spelling.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Albert Muttlebury is shown on the 1891 census as Albert G & born Bedminster. He died in 1908 per the below:

MUTTLEBURY, ALBERT GEORGE ALEXANDER age 31 GRO Ref: 1908 J Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 66

Based on the above, I think this is his birth:
    BRACKEN, ALBERT GEORGE ALEXANDER (mmn blank) GRO Ref: 1876 D Quarter in BEDMINSTER Volume 05C Page 665

There is a Caroline Ann Bracken b1855 Bristol in the 1861 & 1871 census with parents Henry & Eliza (Eliza is a widow in 1871), and amongst her siblings is an older sister named Eliza and a younger one named Kate.

1871 - 17 Trinity Street, Bristol
    Eliza Bracken 52 widow Housekeeper b Bristol
    Eliza Bracken 21 daur born Bedminster
    Emma Bracken 17 b Bedminster
    Caroline Ann Bracken 15 b Bristol
    Alfred H Bracken 2 Grandson b Bristol

The age is slightly out for Eliza Bracken to be Eliza Shattock, but I woudn't rule it out as this birth looks interesting:

BRACKEN, KATE SHARRICK (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1875 J Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 56

Could 'Sharrick' be Shattock?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Following on from Jomot1's post, this is the Muttlebury's from the 1881 census in 1891 with Albert Shattock.

RG12/1970 folio 116A page 25
    Picton Lane, the united parishes of St James and St Paul, Bristol
    George Muttlebury, head, 60, commission agent, Bath, Somerset
    Caroline, wife, 35, Bristol
    Albert G, son, 14, grocer's assistant, Bedminster, Somerset
    Albert Shattock, lodger, 22, coach painter, Bristol

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Albert Muttlebury is shown on the 1891 census as Albert G & born Bedminster. He died in 1908 per the below:

MUTTLEBURY, ALBERT GEORGE ALEXANDER age 31 GRO Ref: 1908 J Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 66

Based on the above, I think this is his birth:
    BRACKEN, ALBERT GEORGE ALEXANDER (mmn blank) GRO Ref: 1876 D Quarter in BEDMINSTER Volume 05C Page 665

There is a Caroline Ann Bracken b1855 Bristol in the 1861 & 1871 census with parents Henry & Eliza (Eliza is a widow in 1871), and amongst her siblings is an older sister named Eliza and a younger one named Kate.

1871 - 17 Trinity Street, Bristol
    Eliza Bracken 52 widow Housekeeper b Bristol
    Eliza Bracken 21 daur born Bedminster
    Emma Bracken 17 b Bedminster
    Caroline Ann Bracken 15 b Bristol
    Alfred H Bracken 2 Grandson b Bristol

The age is slightly out for Eliza Bracken to be Eliza Shattock, but I woudn't rule it out as this birth looks interesting:

BRACKEN, KATE SHARRICK (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1875 J Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 56

Could 'Sharrick' be Shattock?
    Very nice find! And no, I definitely wouldn't rule out the age of Eliza, as not only is Caroline's age correct, but so is Alfred H. (Clement's other child, referred to on the marriage certificate I mentioned, sometimes referred to as Albert)

No further forward finding Clement, but if Eliza's birth name was Bracken then it looks like she may have had another child as there is a baptism on 5 Aug 1873 at St Augustine the Less, Bristol for Alice d/o Eliza Bracken - birth & death registration below:

BRACKEN, ALICE (no mmn) GRO Ref: 1872 D Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 50
    BRACKEN, ALICE aged 3 GRO Reference: 1876 S Quarter in BEDMINSTER Volume 05C Page 448

Eliza Sr was 52 in 1871 so I doubt that this would be her child.

Quick update; I ordered Kate's birthday certificate from GRO and unfortunately, there's no information on her father (which suggests she is a bastard child) I'm not to sure what to do now to find Clement or if he had any alternative names, but this is a very bizarre case (I'll call Clement "The Lost Sailor", he could of been born anywhere in the world)

I can't find your Clement, but most searches keep taking me to the Wimbledon area where there's a family of medics called Shattock with at least one Clement (the wrong age for yours) in the family. It might be worth taking a look at them when you're completely stuck - it's a fairly unusual name and they could be cousins or something...

I ran a (no country specified) search for Clement Shattock, died 1876-1899 on FamilySearch and it came up with a marriage for Kate Shattock to Edward Dymond on 25 Dec 1899 in Easton, St Gabriel, Gloucestershire. Bride's father Clement Shattock.
    Also Albert Henry Shattock mar Alice Florence Morris 27 Nov 1892, Bristol, St Matthias, Gloucestershire. Groom's father Clement Shattock.

Both records in their Bristol Parish Registers collection.

PS Is a father named on Albert's birth cert? If not, it suggests that the parents didn't marry but the mother told the kids that this was their father's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I ran a (no country specified) search for Clement Shattock, died 1876-1899 on FamilySearch and it came up with a marriage for Kate Shattock to Edward Dymond on 25 Dec 1899 in Easton, St Gabriel, Gloucestershire. Bride's father Clement Shattock.
    Also Albert Henry Shattock mar Alice Florence Morris 27 Nov 1892, Bristol, St Matthias, Gloucestershire. Groom's father Clement Shattock.

Both records in their Bristol Parish Registers collection.

PS Is a father named on Albert's birth cert? If not, it suggests that the parents didn't marry but the mother told the kids that this was their father's name.
    Yes, Edward Dymond is one of my ancestors. Also I'll take a look at Albert's certificate when I next go to Bristol Archives (I don't want to keep buying off GRO)

I couldn't find any trace of Albert's birth registration on FreeBMD or the GRO, either under Shattock or Bracken.

Added: Could he have been registered under a different forename perhaps?
    BRACKEN, JOHN HENRY (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in CLIFTON Volume 06A Page 163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast