Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default NATHANIEL SOLOMON aka SALMON-ELIZABETH WEST

This thread is in response to a private request from a researcher seeking to identify the relationship between Nathaniel Joseph SOLOMON aka SALMON c1811-1894 and Edward SOLOMON =Rachel JOSEPH. The researcher has been seeking evidence which confirms or not whether Nathaniel was the eldest son of Edward Solomon and Rachel Joseph.
    I have posted a range of data on Edward Solomon and Rachel Joseph under the main thread Judah Lee Simmonds-Maria Solomon started 5.1.2015- see in particular #3-6 of the thread.

As a start and to put the research into a context I will post data from the census returns on Nathaniel and his wife Elizabeth. The GRO Marriage Certificate for Nathaniel to Elizabeth as will be shown does not indicate that Edward Solomon was his father. However, there is other evidence which suggests that Edward may have been Nathaniel's father. In addition, there are family trees online which do have Nathaniel as a son of Edward but no clear confirmation is given.

The research I will post includes a range of sources which will be identified.

The children of Edward and Rachel not including Nathaniel are recorded as Joseph b 1813;Saul b 1816;Rose(Rosetta) b 1818;Maria b 1819;Samuel b 1820;Benjamin b 1822;Isabella b 1825;Phoebe b 1826; John b 1829.

In census and other records Edward is noted as a solicitor and law clerk but also as being in a business partnership.

I will post on these various issues.

Phillip

The GRO Marriage Record for Nathaniel in 1838 raises a crucial question regarding who his father was because he is recorded as George SOLOMON and not Edward. However in a later record Nathaniel names his father as Edward and gives his occupation.
    The Marriage record records:
    A none Jewish marriage in a Church of England ceremony.
    Parish Church of St Mary's Lambeth Surrey
    15/16th? April 1838
    Nathaniel SOLOMON Full age bachelor Merchant Clerk 16 White Hart? Street-father George SOLOMON no further details recorded
    Elizabeth WEST no details of age spinster no occupation recorded 6 Chester Place-father Robert WEST coach builder
    Witnesses- William Burrows? Henrietta West

In the 1841 Census Nathaniel still uses the Solomon surname but between 1841-51 his surnames changes to SALMON and his place of birth is given as Sheerness, Kent.

1841 (Copyright TNA ) HO107 1083 2 3 22 36
    Charles Square/Street? Southwark b in county
    Nathaniel SOLOMON 30 - his occupation is very difficult to read
    Elizabeth 20 b in county
    Edward 2 b in county
    Rebecca 1 not b in county- the surname spelling becomes SOLOMONS
    Charles not b in county

More data to follow.

Phillip

In the 1851 and later census records Nathaniel Solomon aka Salmon is recorded as a Printer and Ticket Writer. This is important as will be shown.
    1851 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 1527 234 26
    22 Fetter Lane St Dunstan in the West London
    Nathaniel SALMON H M 39 Printer and Ticket writer b Sheerness Kent
    Elizabeth wife 32 b Farnham Surrey
    Edward son 12 b Southwark Surrey
    Rebecca dau 10 b Lambeth
    Adelaide dau 4 b London
    Saul son 3 b London

The London Freedom of the City Admission Papers show- Nathaniel SALMON -Printer- 17 Fetter Lane son of EDWARD SALMON solicitor late of Boro' Road -28 Oct 1856

This is an important record because unless there are two different Nathaniel Solomon aka Salmon printers living in Fetter Lane then this appears to be one in the same person as the Nathaniel who married Elizabeth West.

However, why did Nathaniel on his marriage record gives his father's name as George and not Edward? Why did he name his father as Salmon and not Solomon?Was this because he married out of the Jewish faith? Did his family disown him? We don't know the reasons currently.

1861 Census (Copyright TNA) RG9 219 27 14
    Fetter Lane St Dunstan's Middx

Nathaniel SALMON H M 49 tobacconist b Kent Sheerness
    Elizabeth wife 42 b Surrey Farnham
    Edward son u 22 b Southwark
    Adelaide dau 14 b London St Dunstans
    James son 11 b London St Dunstans
    Joseph son 7 b London St Dunstans
    Rachael dau 8 b London St Dunstans
    David son 5 b London St Dunstans
    Charles son 6 months

1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 375 34 5
    14 Grays Inn Road Holborn London
    Nathaniel SALMON H Widower 59 ticket writer and printer b Kent Sheerness
    Saul son u 20 Compositor b Miidx London
    Rachel dau u 19 Milliner b Middx London
    David son u 16 Machinist b Middx London
    Charles son u 11 b Middx London

Further data to follow.
    Phillip

The 1881 Census shows Nathaniel with his daughter Rachel as a widow.
    (Copyright TNA) RG11 528 35 23
    23 York Street Southwark
    Nathaniel SALMON H widower 69 Ticket writer b Kent Sheerness
    Rachel BOAS Dau widow 28 Milliner b Fleet Street Middx
    Francis Boas granddaughter 7 b Islington

Nb I can't currently locate a GRO Marriage Index reference for a Boas/Salmon marriage and suspect that this is a Jewish marriage but proof is needed.

This maybe the GRO Death Index record for Nathaniel but note the surname- Nathaniel SOLOMON age 83 Lambeth 1d 180 June qtr 1894

In the future posts I will provide information from the Jewish Chronicle Archives regarding two of the sons of Edward Solomon because this data still does not confirm outright that Nathaniel was a son.

Phillip

This post refers to Saul and Joseph Solomon two sons of Edward Solomon. These sons were both solicitors. It should be noted from the previous data on Nathaniel Solomon aka Salmon that he was a Merchant Clerk at his marriage and then a tobacconist and printer/ticket writer.I can't locate a will or letters of administration for Edward Solomon who died in 1855 which might reveal bequests and the naming of children.His wife Rachel died in 1859.

On Google Books there is a snippet which refers to the Edward Solomon line and two of his sons Joseph b 1813 and Saul b 1816
    "His father, Edward SOLOMONS, senior partner in the firm of Solomon and Gideon, of Great Dover Street, had a large family. Saul SOLOMONS the second son was born in London in 1816, and after receiving a thorough education was articled with his brother Joseph to a solicitor. In due.....Secretary of the Philanthropic Society, trustee of the Borough New Synagogue and schools and life member of the United..." The Jewish Record 1898

This article suggests only two sons but is not clear.

A fuller Obituary for Saul Solomon records:
    "Mr Saul Solomon, whose death at 82 took place on Tuesdsay last was the son of Edward SOLOMON of the firm of Solomon and Gideon of St.Helena and first cousin of Mr Saul Solomon of the Cape.Mr Solomon possessed as a solicitor one of the oldest practises among Jewish members of the legal profession. He was admitted to practise in 1850 and was Member of the Incorporated Law Society. He took considerable interest in communal affairs and was one of the original trustees of the Borough New Synagogue and school.. He took much interest in Freemasonry and was P M of the Lodgae of Tranquility. He leaves a widow Elizabeth, daughter of the late Mr Solomon LEVY of Brixton, a daughter and eight sons, two of whom are members of the firm founded by him."
    Jewish Chronicle June 24 1898

Miss Solomon and Mrs LYONS of 110 Brondesbury Villas NW return thanks...for their late lamented brother Saul Solomon.
    Jewish Chronicle July 8 1898

Phillip

In this post I will provide data on part of the family of Joseph Solomon b 1813 son of Edward. This data is part of the ongoing research regarding Edward Solomon family and the Sheerness Kent connection for Nathaniel Solomon aka Salmon.
    The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger 1999 Publisher Robert Boyd

Marriage
    EDWARD HENRY SOLOMON
    Marriage 26.8.1879 at 24 St.Paul's Place Canonbury ...youngest son of the late JOSEPH SOLOMON of Borough Road Solicitor to ISABELLA FRANCES youngest daughter of JOHN ALEXANDER, formerly of Birmingham and Exeter
    The family links recorded by Berger are- Isabella ALEXANDER mother in law;John Alexander brother in law;Bertha LYONS sister in law;Lewis Alexander brother in law; Rebecca Alexander sister in law; Samuel Alexander brother in law; ETTIE TITKIN sister in law;Rachel Alexander sister in law;DANIEL LEVY brother in law; Rebecca Alexander sister in law; S RAGOWSKY brother in law.

John Alexander father of Isabella was an optician and in 1861 Census recorded as born Sheerness Kent. Bertha Lyons was the youngest daughter of Mr M Lyons Cape Town. John the 3rd son of John Alexander married Bertha 25.7.1877 in Cape Town Mount Pleasant Gardens the home of the bride's brother. Daniel Levy married Rachel Alexander 29.12.1875 at Kimberley Diamond Mines South Africa. Rachel was the 2nd daughter of John Alexander Vyse Street Birmingham. S Ragowsky of Berlin married at Birmingham Synagogue in 14.7.1875 to Rebecca eldest daughter of John Alexander of Vyse Street Birmingham.
    Isabella Alexander wife of John Alexander late of 125 Vyse Street Birmingham died age 71 on 12.1.1879 at 24 St Paul's Place Canonbury.
    Ettie TICKTON married 13.3.1879 at Kimberley South Africa residence of the bride's mother -2nd daughter of Mrs G Tickton to Samuel 4th son of John Alexander of 24 St Paul's Place Canonbury.

Phillip

All I can add to this post is that as Phillip states there is no record of a marriage between Rachel and a Mr Boas; neither can I find a death record for Mr Boas between 1871 and 1881. The GRO registration for the daughter Frances does not give a father's surname; Rachel is shown as married in the 1891 census; the marriage record shows her marrying a Walter Stacey, but gives her name as Salmon rather than Boas. When daughter Frances marries (1903), her maiden name is shown as Stacey. So nothing consistent. I did get a copy of the death record for Nathaniel ; it states he died on June 11, 1894 at 94 Cornwall Road, name Nathaniel Solomon, age 83, a ticket writer, cause of death: senile debility and bronchial catarrh, death reported by R Bill, daughter of 31, Commercial Rd. "R Bill" is Rebecca Bill, nee Solomon.

All I can add to this post is that as Phillip states there is no record of a marriage between Rachel and a Mr Boas; neither can I find a death record for Mr Boas between 1871 and 1881. The GRO registration for the daughter Frances does not give a father's surname; Rachel is shown as married in the 1891 census; the marriage record shows her marrying a Walter Stacey, but gives her name as Salmon rather than Boas. When daughter Frances marries (1903), her maiden name is shown as Stacey. So nothing consistent. I did get a copy of the death record for Nathaniel ; it states he died on June 11, 1894 at 94 Cornwall Road, name Nathaniel Solomon, age 83, a ticket writer, cause of death: senile debility and bronchial catarrh, death reported by R Bill, daughter of 31, Commercial Rd. "R Bill" is Rebecca Bill, nee Solomon.

Hi John
    Following on from our private messages I would add regarding John Alexander and his lines that my Alexander relatives are Reuben Alexander =Fanny Crawcour. I have posted on the line on this forum. Reuben's father was Joshua Alexander b Germany 1771-1855 and the 1841 Census shows him living with Reuben and Fanny. Cemetery Scribes also have details of his burial and tombstone as posted on the Reuben Alexander-Fanny Crawcour thread.

With regard to Nathaniel Solomon aka Salmon I noted that his daughter Adelaide Alicia and her brother Saul signed their surnames SOLOMONS on her marriage record:
    GRO Marriage Record
    Parish Church St James Clerkenwell Middlesex
    May 5 1867
    George Hopkins full age bachelor Fishing rod maker 1 Ann Street father George Thomas Hopkins Brush maker
    Adelaide Alicia SOLOMONS full age spinster no occupation recorded 1 Ann Street father Nathaniel SOLOMONS printer
    Witnesses-Saul SOLOMONS; Emma Hopkins

There are online family trees which record specific dob for Nathaniel but give no source.

Phillip

John
    I have looked at all Free BMD Marriages between 1861-1881 for Boas/Boaz/Boam/Doas/Doaz and can see none that relate to a Solomon/Solomons/Salmon. In addition, some of the Boas/Boaz/Baum are recorded in the Berger volumes for the period 1861-1880 so I have been able to rule them out.

Please double check to see if I have missed the marriage of Rachel Salmon who is a widow living with her father and daughter Francis in the 1881 census. I will look for Francis GRO Birth Index record.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast