Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I can't currently locate a Francis/Frances Boas/Boaz/Doas/Doaz/Bose born circa 1873-1874. The surname for Rachel and for her daughter Francis b 1874 Islington as per the 1881 census with Nathaniel Salmon 23 York Street Southwark RG11 528 35 23 appears to read Boas but could be a letter 'D'for the start of the surname.

Any help tracking down the marriage of Rachel could be circa 1873 based on the age of Francis would be appreciated.
    Phillip

John
    Here is data on two of the children of Edward Solomon. The Borough Road address for the 1861 census matches that for Maria Solomon who married Judah Lee Simmonds in 1856- see the thread on the marriage and lines.
    1861 (Copyright TNA) RG9 332 27 6
    91 Borough Road Southwark Surrey
    Rebecca JOSEPH H U 48? No occupation b Middlesex
    Rose SOLOMON Niece u 40 no occupation b Surrey Southwark
    John SOLOMON nephew u 36 no occupation b Surrey Southwark

Nb When Joseph Solomon solicitor died in 1860 he was at 92 Borough Road

1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 611 25 2
    27 Trinity Square St.Mary Newington London

Rosetta SOLOMON H U 52 Lodging House Keeper b London
    John SOLOMON Brother U 42 no occupation b London *****John is recorded as an Imbecile from birth
    +2 lodgers +1 servant

I will post more on the lines Nb- We already know about Maria and Isabella Solomon who married Judah Lee Simmonds.

Phillip

The 1901 Census shows Rosetta SOLOMON daughter of Edward Solomon living with her Simmonds/Lyons relatives (these are my Jacobs/Simmonds relatives through marriages as previously posted on on several threads).
    1901 (Copyright TNA) RG13 1222 102 12
    110 Brondesbury Villas Willesden Middx

Benjamin L SIMMONDS HM 44 Commercial Clerk b London Walworth
    Rachel wife 41 b Kent Margate
    Isabel P dau 9 b London Kilburn
    Phoebe LYONS sister in law widow 75 b Southwark
    ROSETTA SOLOMON aunt s 82 b Southwark
    +1 boarder +1 servant

This maybe Rosetta's death Rosetta Solomon March qtr 1905 age 86 Hendon 3a 170 giving her a dob circa 1818-19

Phillip

Can confirm I've also been unable to find the marriage of Rachel salmon to Boas. The following birth record exists for daughter Frances:
    SALMON, FRANCES ERNESTINE (Salmon is mother's maiden name) GRO Reference: 1873 J Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 359;
    Mother Rachel did marry Walter John Stacy in May 1881 (described as a widow) using the maiden name of Salmon. Free BMD search: SALMON Rachel St. Saviour 1d 220 STACY Walter Scott St Saviour 1d 220

John
    In case I forgot- here are my threads on the Nathaniel Solomon-Phoebe De Metz and related lines which show how my lines married into the Solomon/Isaacs and others- see Benjamin Lee Simmonds -Rachael Lyons 28.2.2015; Lewis Isaacs-Catherine Solomon 18.12.2014 and updated post #4 29.12.2017.

The following data relates to Phoebe Solomon c 1826-1906- she married Edward Emmanuel Lyons b Canterbury Kent 1831-1875-
    I think I posted on the lines in an earlier thread but here is Phoebe with relatives:
    1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 313 24 45
    5 Victoria Park Road Hackney London
    Isabella EMANUEL H widow 63 Dress maker b Middx
    Martha dau u 24 Dress maker b Middx
    Charlotte dau u 20 Dress maker b Middx
    Fanny SOLOMONS niece u 30 Tailoress b Middx
    Phoebe LYONS visitor widow 55 Housekeeper b Middx

1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 415 7 8
    1 Swan Yard Bishopsgate
    Henry Emanuel H M 62 Commission Agent b Kent Deal
    Isabella wife 53 Dress maker b Middx London
    Emanuel son u 17 Bootmaker (apprentice) b Whitechapel
    Michael son 12 scholar b Whitechapel
    Phoebe dau u 18 Dress maker b Finsbury
    Martha dau 14 Dress maker (apprentice) b Finsbury
    Charlotte dau 10 scholar b Finsbury

Phillip

John
    Regarding #14 am I right in thinking that Frances Salmon b 1873 was an illegitimate birth? Do you have a copy of the birth certificate?
    Phillip

Re #14: I'm guessing the Frances Ernestine birth was illegitimate - it all points to that, although I'm lost for an explanation as to why invent a husband and his death for the purposes of a census record!?

John

This post contains information on Saul Solomon 1817-1892 the Cape South Africa politician. His father was Joseph Solomon who was the son of Nathaniel Solomon and Phoebe De Metz and a brother of Edward Solomon. The post adds further data on the line.
    The source of the information was an unnamed woman signed as A M who wrote a letter in 1895 to the Jewish Chronicle regarding Solomon and his relatives on St Helena.
    In the letter( I have not included all of it) the writer refers to Saul Solomon of St Helena, the Gideon brothers, the Isaac and Moss and Britton all relatives and business partners.

"Saul Solomon, the well known Cape Politician, who was leader of the Conversative Party represented Cape Town for many years and several times declined the Premiership. His father was Joseph Solomon and his mother's maiden name was Hannah Moss daughter of Moses Moses-Reb Moshe a friend of the late Rev Solomon Herschel.
    Saul and his brother Henry were sent to England when they were boys of six to eight years... and were educated at the school of Mr H N Solomon of Edmonton. But the whole family drifted from Judaism. He was named after his uncle Saul Solomon who went to St.Helena about 1806 and was joined about 75 years ago by his brother Joseph Solomon and Isaac Moss, who were the original partners in the firm of Solomon and Moss.
    The firm was afterwards changed to Solomon, Gideon and Moss owing the amalgamation with the Gideon; the brothers Henry, James and George Gideon were long resident in the Island. George was a Captain in the Merchant Service. The brothers married daughters of officers and the whole family drifted entirely away from Judaism.....I am now a great grandmother 77 years of age and am here telling mostly what is within my own knowledge but for the earliest dates I am indebted to my father".

Jewish Chronicle May 3, 1895

Nb In the full letter the writer refers to Isaac Moss; Benjamin Moss; Nathaniel Isaac; Saul Isaac MP for Nottingham; George Britton and sister Sarah who married Isaac Moss

Phillip

Follow up to #14 of this thread- the Marriage of Rachel Salmon to William Scott Stacy in 1881:
    Parish Church St John Walworth
    May 16 1881
    Walter Scott Stacy full age bachelor Stage Carpenter 78 Kingdale Street father Benjamin David Stacy Cheese Monger
    Rachel SALMON full age Widow no occupation 23 York Street father Nathaniel Salmon Ticket writer
    Witnesses Henry Richard Williams; Sarah Weeks?

Nb "Ticket writer - a sign painter who produced small coloured advertising cards or "tickets" that were dispalyed in shop windows announcing price of goods or special offers".

Phillip

The following records refer to Benjamin and Samuel Solomon two brothers and sons of Edward Solomon.The brothers were in partnership but this was dissolved in 1853:
    1851 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 1565 38 15
    22 Great Union Street St.George Southwark Surrey

Benjamin Solomon u 31 Cigar Manufacturer b Surrey Southwark
    Samuel Solomon u 29 Cigar Manufacturer b Surrey Southwark

The London Gazette 20 Dec 1853
    Partnership Dissolved between Samuel Solomon and Benjamin Solomon 43 Borough Road Southwark Surrey Cigar dealers and importers under the style and firm of Solomon Brothers

The following record shows that Benjamin Solomon was in financial difficulties by 1854 or earlier and a Bankrupt:
    The London Gazette 31 Oct 1854

Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors- Prisoners to appear before the Court

Benjamin Solomon formerly 22 Great Union Street Newington Causeway then of 43 Borough Road Southwark both in the County of Surrey and late of 55 Beargate Street Dover Kent Dealer in Jewelry, watches,clocks, wines and sundry merchandise

The following records all appear to be related to Benjamin Solomon and relate to his debts and bankruptcy:
    The London Gazette August 9 1861
    Benjamin Solomon 67 London Road Southwark Surrey Draper's Manager previously of the same place Draper and formerly 43 London Road Draper

The London Gazette Oct 30 1866

Benjamin Solomon formerly of 43 London Road Southwark Surrey General Draper then 67 London Road aforesaid Manager of a business of a general draper then of 7 Albert Terrace London Road aforesaid out of business and employ then of 4 Pilgrim Street Ludgate Hill in the City of London Warehouseman, Mantle Maker,General Manufacturer of Fancy Millinery and General Dealer now of 2 Wardrobe Place Carter Place Doctors Common City of London

Petra Laidlaw in the 1851 Anglo Jewry Census Data base JewishGen has a possible death for Benjamin:
    Death Benjamin Solomon 15.2.1868 Aged 46 2 Wardrobe Place Doctors Common
    This record appears in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd.

I have yet to research and identify what happened to Samuel Solomon or if Benjamin remained unmarried.

Phillip

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast