Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for the compliment grisel but it is certainly the result of teamwork.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Default Looks like her

Hello,

The photograph on Find a Grave has been shown to 90 year old Iris and she thinks it is her mother. When compared to photographs of her in her younger days there is definitely a resemblance. It is just a shame non of her younger half brothers are alive as DNA testing could be carried out.

Despite further time spent looking I can find no trace of her (Adelaide Marjory Humphrey) before her marriage. I might take a trip to The Keep as I am a member of the Sussex family history society and see if there are any employment records for her as a servant in one of the big houses in Frant, Sussex where she met Albert Fry who was in The Royal Navy.

Thank you for all the help so far Iris is pleased to have at last some information about her long lost mother. I have tried without success to contact the lady who put the original post on "find a grave". I am sure if she knew she would be interested to follow this thread.

Thank you

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello again
    You could perhaps try contacting the original poster on the genesreunited Looking for my uncle etc post. I think you migrht have to register first. Or you could try facebook - she seems to be on that too.
    Sorry I'm not a member of either so can't help you out with that.

It would be lovely for Iris to be able to be in contact. I did see the lovely comment that she has put on Marjorie's page on findagrave.

Unfortunately to contact someone on genesreunited these days you have to be a paying member. I know because i tried to contact the member concerned. I also received notification from them that they have saved my message to send when/if I up my membership.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Well great minds think alike I have now been successful in making contact as I joined "find a grave" for free and sent her a message. Hopefully I will get a reply soon.

Turns out Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey had nine children!!
    She married Albert Fry (1895 - 1977) and had:
    Clarence Joseph Fry 1922 - 1993
    Albert Sidney Fry 1925 - 2006
    Iris Fry 1928
    Left home and had Michael Gilbert Fry 1930 - 1990 also known as Michael Gilbert Boardman
    Then she had the following children with John Dearden Boardman (1903 - 1964)
    Antony Boardman 1931 - 1996
    Shelia Mary Fry 1933
    Henry James Boardman 1935 -2004 (known has Harry)
    Charles Francis Vincent Michael Fry also known as Boardman 1937
    Reginald Kenneth Boardman 1939
    The mothers maiden name has been quoted as Fry, Humphrey, Murphy, Meager, but I think these are all her off spring.

In November 1946 she died and was buried on 13 November 1946. John Dearden Boardman can be found living with Boardman children in London in the late 1950's early 1960's.

That sums up what I have learnt so far. Still no sign of Adelaide Marjorie in 1901 or 1911 or where she was born in Ireland, Maybe her date of birth was actually 1 Jan 1900 but it looks like a best guess. Don't horses always have that birthday!!
    Thank you for the interst everybody has shown in trying to unravel a very complicated life.

Starting to feel at home

Hello,
    An interesting update for all those that followed and helped with this thread. Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey, the mother of nine children. Her daughter Iris aged 90 has done a DNA test as well as her suspected half sister Shelia Mary Fry born 1933 and they are a match as half sisters! Hopefully despite their ages they may be able to meet up or at least chat on the phone.
    In summary, Adelaide had three children with her husband:
    Iris Fry 1928 - living
    One child with the chap she ran off with:
    Michael Gilbert Fry 1930 - 1990
    and five children with John Dearden Boardman:
    Shelia May Fry 1933 - living
    Henry James Boardman 1935 - 2004
    Charles Fry 1937 - living
    Reginald Kenneth Boardman 1939 - unknown

Now I will try and find out anything I can about Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey before her marriage on 24 Aug 1920, in Ticehurst, Sussex.I would also like to trace the last child Reginald. It is believed that he married on 19 Nov 1960 as a date was written on the back of a wedding photo where he was the groom. It could possible have taken place in Ireland. Thank you for all the help, I thought you would be interested to learn the out come.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hello,
    An interesting update for all those that followed and helped with this thread. Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey, the mother of nine children. Her daughter Iris aged 90 has done a DNA test as well as her suspected half sister Shelia Mary Fry born 1933 and they are a match as half sisters! Hopefully despite their ages they may be able to meet up or at least chat on the phone.
    In summary, Adelaide had three children with her husband:
    Iris Fry 1928 - living
    One child with the chap she ran off with:
    Michael Gilbert Fry 1930 - 1990
    and five children with John Dearden Boardman:
    Shelia May Fry 1933 - living
    Henry James Boardman 1935 - 2004
    Charles Fry 1937 - living
    Reginald Kenneth Boardman 1939 - unknown

Now I will try and find out anything I can about Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey before her marriage on 24 Aug 1920, in Ticehurst, Sussex.I would also like to trace the last child Reginald. It is believed that he married on 19 Nov 1960 as a date was written on the back of a wedding photo where he was the groom. It could possible have taken place in Ireland. Thank you for all the help, I thought you would be interested to learn the out come.
    That is such lovely news! Thanks for letting us know.
    Let's hope the rest of the mystery can be solved too!

Terrific news, and a glimmer of hope for your friend Ivy.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before but if not - FreeBMD has Reginald Kenneth's birth registered twice. Once with the surname Fry and the other with the surname Boardman. All the other details mmn Murphy, registration district Manchester, vol 8d page 367 are the same.

I would also like to trace the last child Reginald. It is believed that he married on 19 Nov 1960 as a date was written on the back of a wedding photo where he was the groom.
    There is no marriage record for a Reginald Boardman (with or without a middle initial) in the Dec 1/4 1960 anywhere in the UK. There is a marriage reg for a Reginald I Fry to a Bennett Dec 1/4 1960 in Battersea.

There is a marriage reg of a Reginald K FROY to a Roberts in the Dec 1/4 1960 Ealing with the GRO typewritten form showing the surname as Froy so not a mistranscription from there but could have been one from the original certificate. BUT there is a birth for a Reginal K Froy Sept 1/4 1931 Brentford so I think we can discount that marriage.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey

Hello, my name is Lorraine and my Husband John is the Grandson of Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey/Fry/Meager/Boardman aka Murphy. He is descended from Adelaide and John Dearden Boardman. I manage the Findagrave memorial through which I have now made contact with Iris and the family. I also created the search on genesreunited. We now have definite confirmation through DNA that Iris and our Aunty Sheila are half sisters and I am hoping to arrange a family gathering to bring all of the two families together this year.

I am still actively searching for my Husband's Uncle Reggie. It has now been confirmed by an elderly relative that he married in Northern Ireland on 19 November 1960. I have created a Facebook posted which has been shared over 2000 times but still no luck in finding him. We think he may be living in Ireland but don't know where. I have contacted over 100 people with the surname Boardman but have not found him. I need to find the marriage certificate from the NI marriage.

As regards Gertrude Alice Humphrey I do not believe she is the sister of Adelaide as her marriage cert states her Father is Charles Humphrey. Her death cert states her mother is K. Williams. Maybe they were cousins?

Using the DNA tests taken by my husband and his family and Iris and her daughter I am now trying to find the origins for Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey. I am not so sure that she was born in Ireland but wonder if she was the child of Irish parents/Grandparents. She also had a strong connection to Manchester so I wonder if the family had come over from Ireland to Manchester. I also wonder if the family had changed their name at some point as I can find no record of her birth in England, Wales, NI or Ireland.

Hi Lorraine, and thanks for the update. This was certainly an interesting thread.

Re Gertrude Alice Humphrey naming her father as Charles and her mother being K Williams, I wondered about the marriage in Tonbrige in 1906 between Kate Humphrey & (same page) Charles Williams.

A Kate Williams aged 42 born Mayfield, Sussex is with husband Charles on the 1911 census in Tonbridge. They claim to have been married 15 years and although the youngest child has the mmn Humphrey I can't find births for the others - including Gertrude born c1900, Faversham or Florence born c1896 Burstow. These births could be interesting though:

GORRINGE, GERTRUDE ALICE mmn HUMPHREY GRO Reference: 1900 M Quarter in FAVERSHAM Volume 02A Page 926
    GORRINGE, FLORENCE mmn HUMPHREY GRO Reference: 1896 S Quarter in REIGATE Volume 02A Page 179

In 1901 Kate Gorringe aged 34 born Mayfield, Sussex is with 'Husband' Mark Gorringe and daughters Florence & Gertrude, plus a son named ALBERT born c1891, Tunbridge Wells.

This might be Albert's birth:
    HUMPHREY, ALBERT BENJAMIN (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1891 J Quarter in TUNBRIDGE Volume 02A Page 694

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast