Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Researching Hutchinson - Beverley area 1640

Hello everyone! New to this forum. Trying to find information on a Thomas Hutchinson, said to be born in Beverley 1640. I have proof that he married Dorothy Storr of Oustwick on 29 May 1668 in Hull. They were Quakers. I have NO information prior to his marriage to Dorothy. Went to Beverly in late September 2018 and basically found nothing new. I'm thinking all his information is Quaker related.

Can anyone help????

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    I have to admit that I feel that you have been very lucky to get back as far as the 1668 marriage. Thanks to all sorts of circumstances (bad paper, acid ink, damp, fire, etc) a lot of records have not survived... Add to that the fact that the Quakers only formally formed in 1647, there's no point in looking for Quaker records for 1640. If his family were religious dissidents before 1647, they may not have kept records. In Cromwell's England, not agreeing with the Established (ie Cromwell's) Church could be dangerous.

Look for the normal Parish records - GENUKI HERE often shows the years for the different that have surviving records.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley! I have been in contact with several Quaker organizations. I have a feeling there could have been a "disagreement" somewhere along the way. I'm not giving up just yet! Much of my research points to a John Hutchinson from Alford (b. 1595) as his father. I don't think this is the case but am investigating further, and further, and further!

Don’t forget to let us know if you find something!