Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dundee10

She was at 26 Avenue Road for quite some time, from at least 1925 to 1939 with her paying guests.

Stuart
    Would you mind confirming the relationship between Frances aka Fanny Lewis and the Lewis recorded on the Charles Lewis forum.
    Is she related to Samuel Lewis 1821-1911? Can you please give her dob and death.
    In addition, was Samuel's wife Deborah who died in 1909 and are two of her sons Morey Lewis, Sydney and Hyman Lewis, Melbourne? I ask because of an Australian newspaper article which refers to their names and in which Deborah is called Deborah FERNANDEZ.

On a separate note, in #44 of the Charles Lewis thread you refer to Barnett Emanuel being a Tasmanian convict and later fruiterer in the UK. Was Barnett pardoned and when was he transported? I ask because I may have overlooked his Tasmanian convict record.

Many thanks.
    Phillip

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Phillip,

There are discrepancies between my tree and those records on the Charles Lewis forum. Any mistakes are probably mine... Best right now is for me to quickly spell out what I've got...

Samuel Lewis 1821-1911 was married to Rosetta Amos 1824 – 1907 (I have their marriage certificate). Samuel was a boot maker and an important chorister at the Great Synagogue and I've plenty of tributes and records from the Jewish Chronicle archives to support that (see also Julius Mombach in Wiki etc). Fanny Lewis (1882-1964)was Samuel's grandaughter.

Samuel and Rosetta had 5 children:- Hyman 1848-1920 married actor's daughter Annie Beckingham and they found success manufacturing shoes in Melbourne Australia. Catherine (Kate) Lewis 1850- 1918 married fishmonger Benjamin Davis. .. Jacob (John/Jack) 1852-1935 married Amelia Emanuel and that's where that connection is made.. Esther 1854-1923 married Wolf Jacobs and that's the Cricketfield Road, Hackney connection.. David 1860-1936 who also became a chorister was married to Annie Barnett (almost certainly connected but nothing verified.

Barnett Emanuel was sentenced to death at the Old Bailey on July 18th 1821 later commuted to life and transportation. He was deported on April 4 1822. But he was later pardoned and was back in Aldgate before 1830 when he married Amelia Isaacs at the Great Synagogue. They had at least 11 children...

Hope that helps..

Stuart

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by StuartLewis View Post

Barnett Emanuel was sentenced to death at the Old Bailey on July 18th 1821 later commuted to life and transportation. He was deported on April 4 1822.
    This is not the same person as your Barnett. This man was transported on the Asia (2) and was still in New South Wales in 1839 when his ticket of leave was approved. This only gave him more freedom to work for himself etc., but he was still a convict.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Looks like I may have one half of Barnett the convict and another half of Barnett the fruit dealer (which is the one I want).. Now I need to find the fruit merchant Barnett's story before the 1851 census... Many thanks Dundee

Stuart
    Dundee beat me to the same query regarding 'your' Barnet Emanuel. Where did you locate the data regarding Barnet and Tasmania?
    Francis Summers in the 1821 Old Bailey trial was on the ship 'Guilford' bound for NSW.

What evidence have you that your Barnet the fruiterer and the convict are one in the same?

In my own lines I have a transported convict to Tasmania and and another well known convict transported to NSW- both Jews hence my interest in Barnet.

Any confirmatory data would be appreciated.
    Phillip

Stuart
    From memory in an earlier post I think you mentioned Barnet Emanuel being back in the UK by the 1830s. As you probably know the JewishGen London Insurance policies record a Barnet Emanuel orange merchant 9 St James Place Aldgate 02.09.1831 and then at 8 St James Place and fruit merchant 9 Dukes Place 15.01.1841 and earlier 3 St James Place Pigot 1826 Orange Merchant.

Noted also Sun Fire 1830-Joseph Emanuel 9 King Street Aldgate dealer in jewellery, watches- is he a relative of Barnet?

Phillip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12