Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Harry Carter and Esther Lake- marriage and pa

Harry Carter was born about 1864 in Leicester. He died on 09 Oct 1913 in Horsforth, Yorkshire-West Riding, England. His occupation was an Electrician.

Harry Carter and Esther Camden Lake had one child, Adolphus Harry Carter, who was born on 07 Feb 1898 in Burley, Yorkshire, England. On his birth certificate, his Father is Harry Carter, and the mother is stated as Esther Carter formerly Lake.

In the 1911 Census, it also states that they have been married for 19 years.

Harry and Esther Carter lived in Horsforth, Yorkshire-West Riding, England on 02 Apr 1911.

Esther Carter died in 1945, as Esther Camden Carter.

All these sources seem to affirm that Harry and Esther

From the birth of Adolphus in 1898, Harry and Esther are found in the 1901 census, 1911 census, and Esther is in the 1939 Register.

Harry Carter is stated as being born in Leceister, and Esther Lake Arnold Nottinghamshire. Adolphus was born in Leeds and they listed in the Leeds area until Harry died in 1913.

However, I am not able to find their marriage certificate, or any details of their parents and siblings.

There is a Harry Carter, born 11 Nov 1867, son of Edwin Carter and Jane Orme. However, this Harry is not listed in the 1871 Census with the family, and I suspect he died in 1868 which I have ordered the death certificate to confirm.

Any assistance to move this forward is appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Geneology foruma

Absolutely no luck with the marriage as yet.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I wonder if Harry adopted the name of a stepfather John Carter. There is a Harry Evans with his mother and siblings in the 1871 census, born c1870 RG8 piece 3253 folio 40 page 73 living in Coalville Leicestershire.
    In 1881 Piece 3143 Folio 149 Page 73 Sarah is married to John Carter living at 19 Upper Snibston Buildings Packington Leicestershire. Harry, using surname Evans, and siblings with them.
    He is still with them in 1891 RG12 piece 2513 page 157 using the surname Carter
    Harry Evans birth reg Ashby de la zouch Union Sept 1/4 1869 mmn Whetton.
    Marriage Sarah Evans and John Carter March 1/4 1872 Ashby de la Zouch
    I haven't followed this one through all the censuses but needs to be looked at?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by mrbollinger View Post

Esther Carter died in 1945, as Esther Camden Carter.
    Are you sure it wasn't 1944 in Leicester? Have you tried to find her in 1939?

The only Esther Camden I can see is this one:

BARKER, ESTHER CAMDEN
    Mother's maiden surname: ATHERLEY
    GRO Reference: 1873 D Quarter in NEWARK UNION Volume 07B Page 354

1881 census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27K-KLLZ

Settling in

I have found the John and Sarah Carter with Harry Evans in the 1891 census, and Harry Evans is a miner, as his Dad is a coal miner. Our Harry is an electrician in all the census and certificates. Miner Harry is not in 1901 census with family. Need to find Harry Evans in 1901 census, but no evidence of name change or matching occupation.

I suspect they ran away to Yorkshire or he transferred with work. They are in Horsforth near Leeds in 1901 and 1911. Harry dies in 1913 and Esther returns to Leicester. They are well documented from their son's birth but just swam to appear in the birth certificate.

Regarding Esther, 1901 census, Esther's birthplace is Arnold, Leicestershire, and 1911 she it states Arnold, Nottinghamshire. I have the death certificate for Esther Camden Carter. In 1939 Register, Esther is a midwife at the address of her death. The informant of the death is Aldolphus' wife and it's a known address for her.

Here are images of the key certificates:

Famous for offering help & advice

an Arthur Carter was born Leeds district 3rd quarter 1894 - mother's maiden name LAKE - volume 9b page 406 (GRO index)

Ethel Carter - Leeds 1st quarter 1892 - MMN LAKE - 9b/372

Eliza Victoria Carter - Leeds 3rd quarter 1897 - MMN LAKE - 9b/433

apologies - parents of those three are George and Eliza Carter, both 50 years old on the 1911 census

George Carter married Eliza Lake, Leeds 1880 - and both born Leeds so completely irrelevant - sorry !

I'm not finding an Esther Lake born in Nottinghamshire in c.1874

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    an Arthur Carter was born Leeds district 3rd quarter 1894 - mother's maiden name LAKE - volume 9b page 406 (GRO index)

Ethel Carter - Leeds 1st quarter 1892 - MMN LAKE - 9b/372

Eliza Victoria Carter - Leeds 3rd quarter 1897 - MMN LAKE - 9b/433

apologies - parents of those three are George and Eliza Carter, both 50 years old on the 1911 census

George Carter married Eliza Lake, Leeds 1880 - and both born Leeds so completely irrelevant - sorry !
    I'm not finding an Esther Lake born in Nottinghamshire in c.1874
    The only evidence of Lake is their son's birth certificate which they could give a false name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post

William Atherley Barker on that census (born 1877) appears to change his name at some point to William Atherley Long

I wonder if these children were orphaned and adopted (by different families) ?

William Atherley Barker on that census (born 1877) appears to change his name at some point to William Atherley Long

I wonder if these children were orphaned and adopted (by different families) ?

I was basing that on not finding William Atherley Barker on a census after 1881 but finding a person with the same first names but surname LONG in 1920's Nottinghamshire electoral registers. However a 9-year-old William Atherley BARKER died Bradford in 1886 (volume 9b page 86)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast