Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default alfred john milner 1916-1942

Hi guys my name is Alan pennington, I am initially searching to find out information as to the ‘man ‘ Alfred john milner my grandfather from tow law Bishop Auckland, County Durham, the picture I have to date is he was 26 years old and either on leave or AWAL from the pioneer corps .My mother was born 22nd April 1942 so was 5 months old when it appears he took his own life at his home in Tow Law . 4469576 was his army number , I have found his head stone in the cemetery at Tow Law , his parents were Anthony and Margaret Milner of tow law and my grandma was his wife Hilda Milner , I’d be very grateful for any info regarding his army record and details of his death ,thank you Alan

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Alan
    Your grandfather's service records will still be with the MoD. See here. They can be ordered at a cost of 30 pounds but you will need a death certificate so that is the first thing we need to establish. Read the information carefully in the link I have given because the information you are entitled to depends on when your grandfather died.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can't find a Service Record for him but he is on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour List as well as the Army Roll of Honour. If he took his own life would he have been honoured like that?

Emeltee

My mother was born 22nd April 1942 so was 5 months old when it appears he took his own life at his home in Tow Law . 4469576 was his army number , I have found his head stone in the cemetery at Tow Law ,

This is getting a little bit delicate. On FreeBMD I can't find a death record for an Alfred J Miln*r 1940 to 1960 anywhere in the UK. There are no deaths of an Alfred Milner, with or without the middle initial J, anywhere in the UK in 1942.
    What exactly does his headstone say?

Ahah. His death is on the CWGC site so that should be proof enough of his death for the MoD.
    https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...,-alfred-john/
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There's a John A Milner death recorded in the September quarter of Freebmd, age 26, Durham West (which covered Tow Law) ?

Reputation beyond repute

I’d be very grateful for any info regarding his army record and details of his death
    Even though MoD may not need it, I would suggest you get the death certificate to confirm the circumstances of his death (Ernest may have located it for you). Once you have those details, the local press may be the easiest way to track down details of an inquest. Those are a few things to do while you wait for MoD to send his service record.