Thread: George Roberts

Default George Roberts

Hi all, I've posted before re my great grandfather George Roberts, but now have another question. In a bid to find his birth reg, I'm working my way through the GRO in a process of elimination. Facts, George Roberts was born 7 May 1876, date given by his children, and same date on 1939 register. Do not know where. On his marriage cert father is Thomas Roberts deceased, but this has proved to be a red herring.
    My query is this, I have a George Roberts registered June qtr, Uppingham Rutland, MMN Mayes, there is also a George James Roberts registered Mar Qtr, Uppingham Rutland, MMN not given, though I suspect it to be ROWE.
    I can only find George James Roberts on the 1881 census, and not George Roberts, same problem on the 1891 census, then on the 1901 census can only find a George Roberts, and George James Roberts is missing. For certain there are two different people.What am I doing wrong?
    The parents of George Roberts were Eliza Mayes born Uppingham and William Roberts born Holbeach Lincs, where they married in 1869
    The parents of George James Roberts were William Roberts and Elizabeth Rowe who married in Oakham Rutland in 1875. Although George James is listed in the 81 & 91 census as living with his grandmother.So don't know where his parents went.
    However it's the George Roberts reg in the June qtr that interests me.

Hope this isn't too confusing.I'd be grateful for any ideas or help,

Elizabeth

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth P View Post
    The parents of George James Roberts were William Roberts and Elizabeth Rowe who married in Oakham Rutland in 1875. Although George James is listed in the 81 & 91 census as living with his grandmother.So don't know where his parents went.
    Are you sure about this? If there is no mmn on the GRO index then it seems more likely that his mother is Hannah Roberts, the unmarried daughter.

The George Roberts in 1901 is a Carpenter and appears to be the George James Roberts of Willesden who married Winifred Sarah Fawcett in Rugby on 2 Dec 1906. They are in Wembley, Middlesex in 1911:

This would mean that the person who is 'missing' in 1901 is the one born in the June, mmn Mayes.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think the George Roberts mmn Mayes is the one born Wing who is in North Manchester in 1911 with wife Eliza, who was born Hull (Wing is in the Uppingham Registration District). This George joined the Army in Scarborough in 1896 & was posted to Mauritius in 1898 & then India, returning home in 1904, discharged 1908. Married Eliza Eldridge at Hubberston, Pembroke on 17 Oct 1897. Next of Kin prior to that was Emily Elizabeth Weston of Walcot near Folkingham, sister (c/o John J Wilkinson)

I had a suspicion that may be the case, so thank you for flagging up the same idea, I'd followed this George Roberts through to 1911 and found the marriage to Winifred, but couldn't find out if he was George James, so I'm very grateful to you, for finding out that fact, as it means he is not the George Roberts I'm looking for, born too early. Another one to eliminate.

This is amazing info, and thank you so much for supplying it. It explains why he was missing from the census, presume that as he joined up in Scarborough then maybe he's on the 1891 census somewhere in the north of England, something for me to chase up. You've given me some good leads here, a very big thank you, for your time and help.

Looking back, I see that you actually have 2 active threads running about George HERE and HERE.

Please don't do this again - it's not fair to people who spend time trying to help you, only to find that someone else has already given you that information, so we don't allow it. To find your old posts, which you can then continue, click on your own name on a message box and then the option to find all posts.
    I will close the other threads, and leave this one active.

I'm very sorry for having done something wrong, I certainly don't want to put people to extra work, the band of folks we have on this forum are amazing, and I for one really appreciate all of the help and ideas they've given me, I'll be more careful in future.

Thanks,
    It’s more a new user mistake than something wrong..