Janette1169

Default Regiments stationed in Guernsey

Hi,
    I am trying to trace the regiment of an ancestor. He was stationed in Guernsey at the time of his 2 sons' births between 1811 and 1814.
    Would it be possible to find out which regiments were based there within these dates?
    Kind regards
    Janette

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

According to Kitzmiller, which is not always totally correct :-

1811-11th North Devonshire, 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers, 32nd Cornwall Light Infantry.

1812-1813 - 35th Royal Sussex. 1804 -1811 West Middlesex. 1807 - 1814 60th Kings Royal Rifles. 1812 - 63nd West Sussex. 1812 96th Regiment.

1812 - Amherst Barracks 82nd Prince of Wales Volunteers.

Keith

Reputation beyond repute

I doubt if that's the question you really need to ask.

The usual way to progress this sort of problem is through the boys' birth certificates (if available) and the father's service record.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The usual way to progress this sort of problem is through the boys' birth certificates (if available) and the father's service record.
    Which is pretty much what I said when you asked exactly the same question back in March

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-islands-1810s

The answer by the way was the Royal Artillery

Janette1169

Keith,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am struggling to find the regiment because of wrong information i received regarding names of parents of my ancestor.
    I will make a note of the regiments and dig deeper, thank you again, you have been most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    According to Kitzmiller, which is not always totally correct :-

1811-11th North Devonshire, 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers, 32nd Cornwall Light Infantry.

1812-1813 - 35th Royal Sussex. 1804 -1811 West Middlesex. 1807 - 1814 60th Kings Royal Rifles. 1812 - 63nd West Sussex. 1812 96th Regiment.

1812 - Amherst Barracks 82nd Prince of Wales Volunteers.

Keith

Janette1169

Peter,

Apologies for my duplicate post. I had another site in mind, where i thought i had posted it a few months back. As for the boy's birth cert, there isnt any. I have managed to get their baptism records and it does not give any details about the father other than the names, mothers name and names of godparents.
    now my memory has been refreshed with your previous reply, i will look into the Royal Artillery along with the other regiments, Keith has suggested too. Plenty to work with now.
    I will be careful in the furture about duplicate posts.
    Thanks, Janette
    Last edited by Janette1169; 13-10-2018 at 9:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Reputation beyond repute

As for the boy's birth cert, there isnt any.
    I don't understand what you're saying.

In the earlier thread, Gortonboy found you the GRO military index references for the births of a Samuel Wright and a George Wright in Guernsey (regiment Royal Artillery). Why are you saying there's no certificate? Did you not try ordering one?

Janette1169

Peter, the dates of birth were 1811 and 1814. So there cant have been birth certs then. Correct me if im wrong. I have the baptism entry from the church they were both baptised at.

Reputation beyond repute

Correct me if im wrong.
    You are wrong.

It's all explained on the GRO site

What records are held for overseas births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths?

...British Army Regimental records of births, baptisms and marriages, dating back to 1761...

However in this case perhaps the baptism provides what you need.