Loves to help with queries

Default Thomas or George Waldram bapt 1628 Coleorton

The FMP transcription reads that Tho Waldram was bapt. 18 July 1628 Coleorton but looking at the image, it appears to me, that it is George Waldram, the son of Thomas Waldram that has been baptised. I can't decipher the two words after George Waldram on the image. Opinions much appreciated thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think you're right about it being George who was baptised. It reads to me like:

..."George Waldram sonne of
    Sr Tho Waldram was Bap July 18"

The last letter of 'sonne' isn't a typical 'e', but it may just have an extra flourish - there's a similar one on Edward Barefoot, 13 May, a few lines up.

Sr will be an abbreviation for 'Sir'. These days it's restricted to those of a specific rank or title, but in earlier times it was used to imply a more general kind of honour or status. I've come across it attached to clergy, for example.

Did you see Sr Thomas Waldram's burial near the top of the page?

Thank you arthurk for that confirmation and no, I did not see Sr Thomas's burial. I was dismissing some other trees that had Sir Thomas as fanciful but your explanation makes the title more plausible. Thank you. Could you possibly think of some examples of occupations or positions held in their community maybe that could earn them this honour? As well as the clergy I mean. LizzieB

Famous for offering help & advice

Mainly the local landowners, I think, or men holding positions of civil or military authority. At any rate, people who were generally respected and looked up to.

Incidentally, you may need to explore the family a bit more to confirm all the relationships. It occurred to me that the burial might be an older Thomas, and on his death the honorific 'Sir' got attached to a son Thomas, who was George's father.

Apologies for not replying earlier arthurk, but have only this evening had reason to to go BG. I'd gotten off the beaten track with others on my tree and haven't been back to Thomas and George. Thank you for bringing your wonderings about the two Thomas's to my attention.