Starting to feel at home

Default James Henry and Matilda Fitt 1901 census

I am having trouble locating my 2nd gt grandparents James Henry Fitt and Matilda Fitt (nee Burnett) in the 1901 census. They should be living at 78 Old Church Road, Mile End Old Town Western, London. This was James Henry Fitt's address when he married Matilda in 1899 and it was their address in 1901 and 1902 when their first 2 children were born (according to baptism records) so I'm very confused as to why I can't find them. I know that the census is only a snapshot of where people were on that day, and they may have been visiting friends or relatives elsewhere but it's like they've completely disappeared. Here are their details:

James Henry Fitt (sometimes known as just Henry) b.1880 Mile End Old Town

Matilda Fitt (nee Burnett) b.1881 Ratcliff, London

Any help greatly appreciated!

Knowledgeable and helpful

There are two families living at 78 Old Church Road in 1901 - Margaret Cleaver and her daughter Agnes and James Godfrey, wife Eliza and children Annie and Arthur.

That's it unless there is more than one Old Church Road in Mile End Old Town.

Emeltee

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    There are two families living at 78 Old Church Road in 1901 - Margaret Cleaver and her daughter Agnes and James Godfrey, wife Eliza and children Annie and Arthur.
    Yes, that's what I found too. I will look into the possibility of there being another Old Church Road in the area, but I can't imagine that being the case.

Is it possible that they were just out somewhere at that time and weren't added to the records for some reason? I know mistakes are often made by the enumerators.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It might be worth checking if Margaret Cleaver and/or James Godfrey and families are listed elsewhere in the 1901 census. i.e. did they get listed twice in error while James and Matilda were omitted?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Some people were quite adept at avoiding the enumerator. None of the censuses are 100% complete. They could simply have been missed or they might have temporarily been in one the missing areas eg https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C10980218

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

Starting to feel at home

I'm not that worried about it really. Just curious as to the reasons why they might have been missed.
    I like to have all the pieces of the puzzle where possible.