Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wedding Certificate Rank / Profession mystery

Can anyone help solve this mystery please? The numbers (17) and (18) are listed against my great grandparents Rank or Profession on their wedding certificate. With the numbers seventeen and eighteen spelt out and initialled by the registrar on the right hand side of the certificate.

Does anyone know what this means?

Many thanks.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Anything to do with age?

Emeltee

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

No afraid not their ages are shown elsewhere and are different.

Hi Steve and welcome to Brit-Gen
    If you would like to share the details on the marriage certificate, when, where, names, profession etc it may help us to help you.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Steve G,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

When and where did your great-grandparents marry? Is there just those numbers (words) written in the profession/rank column, i.e. nothing else such as baker, labourer, etc.

Assuming you have their birth certificates or have at least found proof of their birth registrations, do the ages in the age column on the marriage certificate match (give or take a year) with their years of birth?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for the replies, this is the weirdest wedding certificate I have ever seen so please bear with me while I explain!.....Brentford Register Office 1913. It says name and surname: Bertram William Olaf Nacola Trigg Hamilton otherwise Trigg, the divorced husband of Florence....occupation "Music Hall artist" crossed out and replaced with "Physician" (17).

The wife on the wedding certificate is an Irene Fowler. Rank or profession is shown as (18).

Here's the weirdest thing, my great grandfather (maternal) was Bertram William Trigg a music hall artist who got divorced from Florence in 1912 and remarried (unknown who to).

My great grand father (paternal) was a Olaf Nacola Hamilton!

I thought at first I had a shared great grandparent (yikes!!) and I know people lied on marriage certs, but this cannot be the full story as Bertram William and Olaf Hamilton have entirely separate death certificates and died some years apart in different places. It really is weird.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Hi Steve
    I think the numbers refer to entries in the registrar's alterations or amendment list. You can see the amendment on the groom's occupation - one thing crossed out and another entered. That alteration will be repeated as the 17th entry on the registrar's amendment list.
    The other one, number 18, is stranger, because there hasn't been an obvious amendment made.
    I don't think there is anything additional on the amendment list - no reasons or who said so, or anything like that. I had one like that myself many years ago, and someone on another list or forum told me what it was and sounded quite sure about it.
    But I confess I'd be tempted to contact the local registrar and ask about alteration number 18!
    Barbara

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    Hi Steve
    I think the numbers refer to entries in the registrar's alterations or amendment list. You can see the amendment on the groom's occupation - one thing crossed out and another entered. That alteration will be repeated as the 17th entry on the registrar's amendment list.
    The other one, number 18, is stranger, because there hasn't been an obvious amendment made.
    I don't think there is anything additional on the amendment list - no reasons or who said so, or anything like that. I had one like that myself many years ago, and someone on another list or forum told me what it was and sounded quite sure about it.
    But I confess I'd be tempted to contact the local registrar and ask about alteration number 18!
    Barbara
    Thanks for that, Barbara.
    I did wonder if the numbers related to amendments, but I couldn't remember the details about the system so kept quiet instead of rambling.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I see the marriage was in the Sept qrt between Jul - Sept 1913, but the divorce final decree wasn't until 3rd Nov 1913, so, would the marriage be illegal?

I'm not suggesting the numbers in the rank/profession column refer to a possible illegal marriage. I merely thought that the marriage taking place before the final decree worth mentioning.
    Alma

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post

Here's the weirdest thing, my great grandfather (maternal) was Bertram William Trigg a music hall artist who got divorced from Florence in 1912 and remarried (unknown who to).

My great grand father (paternal) was a Olaf Nacola Hamilton!

I thought at first I had a shared great grandparent (yikes!!)
    There is nothing wrong with both of your family lines leading back to the same person, plenty of people married within their extended family.

I would think that Bertram and Olaf are the same person. There are a number of newspaper articles about Florence and she is named as "Florence Nickola, otherwise known as Madame Ziska". (See 1911 census)

I cannot see a death for Bertram, what are the details?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast