Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I cannot see a death for Bertram, what are the details?
    Me neither. I've found a tree on Ancestry which suggests his death was 1936 and registered as William Trigg, age 60, Surrey S.E. 2a 578.

Steve, are you certain the 1936 death is him, do you have the death certificate?
    Alma

There is a tree on Ancestry which has Olaf Nacola Hamilton married to Irene Fowler. Two children are born to the couple. Nigel Nacola Hamilton, the other is 'private'

These seem to be the birth registrations.

Births Dec 1914
    Hamilton Nigel N C Fowler Kingston 2a 762

And probably

Births Sep 1917
    Hamilton Ian Fowler Hitchin 3a 1091
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm pleased I'm not the only one who couldn't find a death for Bertram Trigg, though I found one for an Olaf Hamilton. Died age 43, Hampstead registration district, December quarter 1922. Age is slightly out for Bertram William Matthews Trigg, birth registered September quarter 1876, but that's not unusual.

And after searching for what seems a lifetime I finally found Bertram, Florence, three children (although one of the newspaper reports said that Florence said she had four children to support) plus two younger brothers of Bertram in the 1911 census. Living in Electric Avenue, Brixton. RG14/2077 SN 265. Indexed on FMP as Friggs.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I see the marriage was in the Sept qrt between Jul - Sept 1913, but the divorce final decree wasn't until 3rd Nov 1913, so, would the marriage be illegal?

I'm not suggesting the numbers in the rank/profession column refer to a possible illegal marriage. I merely thought that the marriage taking place before the final decree worth mentioning.
    Alma, one of the family trees on Ancestry gives a decree nisi date of 1 July 1912, with the final decree date of 13 August 1912. Which would be about right as you have to wait 43 days from the decree nisi before you can apply for the final/absolute bit.
    Where did you find the November 1913 date?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

The 17/18 are "numbered corrections" - showing errors were made and corrected by the registrar whilst the register entry was being written out, and before it was signed.

The numbers refer to the number of corrections within that register and a list is kept in the front of the book, showing which correction is on which entry - this is to stop a later correction being "slipped in"to the register.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Alma, one of the family trees on Ancestry gives a decree nisi date of 1 July 1912, with the final decree date of 13 August 1912. Which would be about right as you have to wait 43 days from the decree nisi before you can apply for the final/absolute bit.
    Where did you find the November 1913 date?

Pam
    Pam, the divorce papers are on Ancestry.

Oops, I was looking at the next record, it is for Trask, not Trigg. My mistake, sorry. The final decree date says 13th Aug 1913

The marriage to Irene Fowler took place Jul - Sept 1913.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi aimach,
    I am getting the death certificate for William to see what it tells me.
    However I am veering to Wm Bertram changing his name to Olaf Hamilton with this registry office certificate being an interim step in his identity change. He was a music hall mind reader type act, illusionist / phrenologist, and his former wife Madame Ziska. As well as playing piano with her sister in the Brixton area, she'd send coded messages to him on the stage so he could, depending on her words, identify objects she was holding etc.

Thanks for the brilliant responses so far! Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
    Hi aimach,
    I am getting the death certificate for William to see what it tells me.
    Brilliant! Please come back to your thread and let us know the details on the cert.

However I am veering to Wm Bertram changing his name to Olaf Hamilton with this registry office certificate being an interim step in his identity change.
    I too think that looks very likely.

If we can help with any thing else, do ask, we're a willing lot
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks I will. I note that one of the newspaper articles I found has "Madame Ziska" saying her real name was Florence "Nickola". She was a naughty minx! This was on one of her prosecutions for palm reading.... That is significant as the Nickola name appears on the weird wedding certificate, and so I think it may well have been a "stage name" that she and her first husband William Bertram Trigg used for their music hall act. More evidence to suggest that Olaf Hamilton was once William Trigg. We are getting there!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Posted twice sorry!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast