Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hi Shae here. Researching Biddle and Taylor

Im pleased to be involved in British - Genealogy. I live in Australia (arrived in 1958 just before my first birthday) and have been researching my family, namely my dear father Harold Arthur Biddle military ww2 (his military info eludes me it seems) and a little known about, gt Uncle Thomas Taylor who gave his life at age 20 in the Great War. France Belgium. Tom was in the same regiments as my grandfather though I cannot find him anywhere. I look forward to the day when I can visit his memorial, he will know he is finally found.
    I’ve been researching on and off for the past decade or so on different sites. There’s a fair bit of info on both sides of my family, BUT the one great enigma is where Thomas has been laid to rest.
    I’ll look forward to hearing from you and your research experiences.
    Kind regards and koala hugs to you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There is already a thread about Thomas Taylor.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...8-d1917-France

Shae, your father's service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence. See this post for further details about how to apply for them.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757
    In the bookmarks on my laptop I have a link to a thread regarding payment being made from Australia. I'll post it later.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam and Thankyou so much. I’d been looking for my post from some years ago but didn’t find it. There’s a lot of good info in there from other members/researchers.
    The non release of ww2 service records explains why the only H A Biddle that comes up was a Stalag P.O.W - not my dad.
    Re Thomas Taylor I’ve a list of ‘possibles’ though finding his enlistment document would be the answer
    Kind regards
    Shae

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Shae,
    In the bookmarks on my laptop I have a link to a thread regarding payment being made from Australia. I'll post it later.
    Major memory fail, as it was from America, but the same 'system' applies.

First of all, after replacing the ATs and DOTs with the correct symbols and removing spaces, send an email to APC-sp-disclosures4 AT mod DOT gov DOT uk
    explaining that you live in Australia and would it be please be possible for them to confirm that they hold a record for your father before you go to the expense of obtaining an international money order or banker's draft for payment of their fee.
    On the application form you have to supply full name plus a date of birth and/or a service number, so give those details in your email.

Hopefully you'll get a positive reply back from the MoD which will also include the following words "When you submit your application please also send a photocopy of your father’s death certificate and an International Money Order or bankers draft made out in £30 sterling as directed"

I recently applied for an uncle's records which took about seven weeks to arrive though I didn't have to add mail delivery times from/to Australia into that.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”