Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen the Anne Lang b 1746 Abbey , parents Robert Lang and Anne Paton?

Yeah, Grisel, I saw this entry, but, if true, this means that (if this Anne is the one that married Alexander McLean in August of 1763) she would've been 16 years old (2 months before turning 17) at the time of her marriage. Was that common for a 16-year-old girl to get married?

Pretty unusual, but not impossible.

Leslie & Grisel,
    Just an update - I had a trip to the National Archives of Scotland today, and there are no mentions of Alexander McLean and Ann Lang in the Abbey Parish Kirk Records. In addition, the Kirk Session records of Paisley Low Parish have no mention of this couple or their family. So, as you previously mentioned, it looks like I have gotten as far as I can with these McLeans. Thanks again for your help!

No matter how hard you try, I'll retain the female spelling of my forename!

It's possible that the records were lost (or not made) because Scotland was still pretty confused - this was all only around 20 years after Culloden and its consequences. The only thing that I can think of to do is to check the records of the parishes they might have lived in previously - sometimes people went to get married by a favoured Minister in a previous parish.
    Re-check periodically - more records come on line periodically and you never know.

I hope you enjoyed Edinburgh, despite the lack of records.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234