Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Married 1908 chesterfield using name Eduardo ruggea but that surmame does not exist in Italy
    A surname which is used in Italy and very similar is RUGGIA, which when said would sound like RUDGIA

My very limited Italian - schoolgirl - remembers double GG was pronounced with a sound similar to DG, as in the Italian coffee machine GAGGIA, which is pronounced GADGIA (soft D) I have forgotten most of the Italian I learned but still remember pronunciation (some)
    Alma

Settling in

Hi
    No mother or father are named either on his birth certificate or 1911 census I don’t know how he got away with not telling them
    By 1920 he just says John Rogers which obviously is not true

In 1911 with Eduardo there's a Jaboc (sic) Podesta, and his wife Victora (sic) listed as relatives and born Italy, married 3yrs.

This is their marriage

Marriages Jun 1907
    PODESTA Giacomo Ashton 8d 943
    PODESTA J_chn Ashton 8d 943
    QUEIROLO Vittoria Ross Ashton 8d 943
    QUIROLO Vittoria Rossi Ashton 8d 943

I think the options in bold are the correct spellings.
    Alma

Settling in

Hi you are very correct when looking in Italy ruggia was very much the name closest and there are a few in the genova area where the “ relatives” he lived with and where family members think he came from she also suggested raggio as this is linked a lot to the names podesta and queirolo the other couple I thought maybe he would have told the truth on his army papers as he would only have had either Italian papers or his marriage certificate as he had been in England less than 10 yearns and perhaps the army would have made him fill in all parts
    I am not sure if there are papers available for army corps I keep looking but I don’t know where I should be looking
    Thanks for your help
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Lindabuttercup View Post
    Hi
    No mother or father are named either on his birth certificate or 1911 census I don’t know how he got away with not telling them
    By 1920 he just says John Rogers which obviously is not true
    Did you mean to say marriage certificate? Parents names were not asked for nor listed on the 1911 census unless living in the same household.

Perhaps he anglicised his father's name in 1920? In which case it would be Giovanni or Gianni
    Alma

Settling in

Hi yes this is the couple he says they are relatives but I searched their birth town and no sign of him
    Giacomo (Jacob) podesta was drafted into us army in ww1 and that gave lots of info on his past also the fact they had gone via Ellis island meant lots of info on these two
    I hoped British army papers might be as helpful
    Thanks for your help
    Linda

Settling in

Hi
    No I mean on the census the part where it says list nationality of all those not born in uk he put Itally (sic)
    Given code 814 he then states both parents Italians don’t know why not sure he filled out the form it’s not Italian style handwriting
    You could be correct that his fathers name was John or the Italian form of it his eldest son my grandfather is called John edward but had presumed that that was after her father John tierney as all the other children apart from Victoria are named after her family
    Interestingly although the children are registered with the anglicised version of his name when they are baptised he reverts to Italian form albeit with two different spellings
    Also I presumed baby Victoria was named after Victoria queirolo as the pattern of naming changed interestingly baby Victoria is baptised Maria Victoria
    Thankyou linda

Settling in

Hi again
    Thankyou you have really got me thinking as the first child Ellen named after mother’s side was not his child perhaps the pattern of naming is his family ie John edward and Maria Victoria the last child has her mums name rosehannah
    Thanks for the thoughts
    Linda

Reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if there are papers available for army corps I keep looking but I don’t know where I should be looking
    It's the Army Service Corps. It's the name of a regiment. For advice on how to search see the National Archives research guide...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-after-1913/

Settling in

Hi
    Thankyou peter
    I have looked on ancestry but couldn’t work it out
    Thanks for your pointer
    Linda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12