Famous for offering help & advice

Default Marshel/Marshall ARTHUR b1879 Cornwall - WW1

Mis-filed (as Arthur Marshall) in the MAR section of the WW1 Service Records (WO 363):

Marshall ARTHUR joined up in May 1915, declared age 36y, born St Stephens.
    Home address: Foxhole, St Austell, Cornwall
    Married St Austell, 1899 - Kate BRAY.
    Children: Launcelot 1900, Ralph 1901, Louisa 1903, Lilian Grace 1906, Marshall Everett 1908, Katie Irene 1915.

Served with the Royal Engineers until discharge 1919. Regt No: 98239. Military Medal 1917.

NB: First Name: GRO Birth = MARSHEL; GRO Marriage = MARSHALL

Anc****y, MAR, pages 3031-3077 (mis-file page 3073)

There's no medal card on Anc for anyone responding to Arthur as a surname and that number or regiment, surname and forename.
    There IS an a 98239 Sgt Arthur Marshall, RE with just the Victory and British (neither Star).

Had the Military Medal for bravery in the field (London Gaz 27 Aug 17).

His service record seems to have survived: b. abt 1859, lived in Foxhole St Austin, Cornwall. Anc has him as AM. Same wife & children as you list. At the top of his attestation form, his name is written as Arthur; Marshall and he signs as Marshall Arthur.

Married Kate Bray 1899, Foxhole. He was a "superior at heavy bridging".

His references from his original employers are included. Mining carpenter, teacher of practical maths, applied mechanics & elementary engineering. Also his school certs. Also list of kit provided when he joined up.

Famous for offering help & advice

And the really spooky thing is ...

I grew up in Foxhole, and I knew a Marshall Arthur ... just can't remember whether I met his Dad/Grandad.
    All of a sudden, this has become more than just reading bits of paper ...

Jane

I didn’t have time to check the local papers for reports about the Military Medal...

Can't find a newspaper report as yet - there doesn't seem to be many Cornish local papers in the database.

In the 1911 he gives his occupation as a china clay agent, address given as Gonabarn, St Stephens. Number 5 child is a Marshall E Arthur aged 3 who could be the man you met.

In the 1939, he's mentioned as a retired china clay captain, he and Katie are still at the Clay Works in Foxhole.

BTW there is also an odd listing of a Marshel Arthur, but I'm not certain it's the same guy - his probate listing gives his death as 23 Feb 1962 in Foxhole BUT the widow is Violet Maude Arthur. OTOH one of the executtors is Marshall Everett Arthur, china clay captain.

There's a Katherine Arthur age 70 death ref 1950 Truro... And a marriage for Marshel Arthur and Violet M Robison in Southend in 1951....