Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default George Albert Rodgers

Hi
    Im currently researching my great grand father George Albert Rodgers or Rogers who was born 25th September 1887 in Pershore, Worcester. His parents were Albert Rogers and Ellen Rogers (maiden name Finch).
    His son was also called George Albert Rogers who was born in 1919. Now on his birth certificate it states that great grand father George Albert Rodgers was a private of the 424th Labour Battalion Worcester Regiment and it this part that I need help on. Whether there is any information on my great grand father being part of this regiment.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Bren

Hi Bren
    First of all George Albert's birth registration in 1887 has his surname as Rogers (no d) so when searching it is best to use wildcards * or tick the variation of surnames box.
    He and his wife Blanche (nee Workman) are also listed with the surname Rogers on the 1939 Register even though your grandfather's birth registration is indexed as Rodgers but his sister as Rogers.
    I can't see a military record for him as yet but to make matters worse he is down as Albert George in the 1891 census as is his father, so will need to search as both George and Albert as the first name.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Medal Index Card is also on Ancestry, writing on reverse of card is interesting.
    As he served after WW1, his service record should still be with MOD?
    His service number is in the range - Worcestershire Regiment 5239001 - 5328000
    Get his records, then you will know the full story

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

They’ll have his record if he served in 1920 or after...

Many thanks for all your help. Was wondering as he was part of the 424th labour regiment would he have actually seen any action? My understanding is that the labour regiment were for man who were not fit to go to war but stand at home and helped in other ways such as farming food for the soldiers? So I downloaded the link from the national archives and it mentions the Medal Victory Danish Star. So not sure if that�s him.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

You are better looking at the card on Ancestry, in colour and you can see both sides and they are free to look at.
    as for "Was wondering as he was part of the 424th labour regiment would he have actually seen any action?" none
    He first served with Worcestershire Regiment 38171 - would have seen action with them and then probably wounded
    see - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...rch-a-soldier/
    As for what medals he got, again above is clearer, it actually says under he heading of Medal, Victory, then British then Star. As he only has a reference to the medal rolls for the Victory medal and British war medal, that is what he was awarded.
    See - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...the-great-war/

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thanks Robert. That�s a great help.
    Is there a way you can tell me how you found it on Ancestry?
    Is there a link you can share?

Some Labour Battalions were sent over to take case of manual labour behind the lines. Also, some soldiers started in fighting regiments until they became unfit to fight, so may have a medal entitlement from before they transferred.

Reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the labour regiment were for man who were not fit to go to war but stand at home and helped in other ways such as farming food for the soldiers
    Do please read this page about the Labour Corps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast