Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Brickwall with MOD records.

Hi all and thanks to all who contribute to and run this site.

I am researching the movements of my grandfather Stuart Clarence Graham during WWII. Although he graduated as an officer within the Australian Defence Force he was assigned to British command throughout most of the war. Since he was not serving under the ADF during this time there are no records of his movements during WII in Australia and I have been informed that such records, if they exist, would be held in Britain. I know he was involved in the Italian campaign and my father has some stories and mementos from then that we would like to know more about. Without knowing with which group he was assigned or even if his movements are recorded I am at a loss as to where to look. I have had a look at the MOD site but they seem to indicate they only hold records for UK service personnel, which my grandfather was not. There is no contact and I'm reluctant to spend 30 quid to be told there are no records. Frustrating....
    BTW My grandfather died 26 years ago so records limitations should not be a problem.
    If anyone has more info on the personnel records I would be much obliged.

Kind regards

David Graham

Hello David and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I googled Stuart Clarence Graham Australia WW11 and got quite a few hits including a Wikipedia article. This is your grandfather? A very informative article for those wanting to help. Here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christanel and thanks for replying.

Yes, that is him. It is his time spent with the British 7th Armored division from which we are missing most information. He told my father of one incident where he was in jeep that was dive bombed by a Stukka. The jeep was blown off the road and he landed on the ground still in the driving posture. He apparently had blood coming out of his ears and walked back to headquarters. Whether he was the sole person in the jeep I do not know. My father also has a very old italian book bound in pigskin. The story that goes with it was that during the Italian campaign they entered a village. Food was short and there village folk were on starvation rations. They chose the local priest's house as headquarters however the priest was reluctant to let them inside. They forced their way in and found a large stash of food that the priest had been hoarding. The food was distributed among the villagers from which one villager gave the old book to my grandfather as a token of thanks. There is a hand written inscription with what appears to be the village name but I cannot locate the village and the handwritting is a bit scrappy. Would love to know where it is. I'm sure the records could be stored in the MOD but since my grandfather was attached I am not sure if he would be recognized as a British serviceman. Any help appreciated. Thanks

The National Archives (uk) have war diaries and because your grandfather was an officer he is more likely to be mentioned rather than those of lower ranks. here
    I haven't searched to see if there is a diary for the British 7th Armoured Division yet
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Just searching by name on the National Archives brings up this record
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Was it the Central Army Records Office in Melbourne who told you that they don’t have any records? Usually with those who continued to serve after WW2 all of their records are amalgamated and held in Melbourne.

https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/exp...rmy-after.aspx

Do you already have those that are indexed at the NAA?

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scrip...Number=3223658

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scrip...Number=6247767