Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Orsett Union House Records

Does anyone know if records for the Orsett Union House (workhouse) are somewhere on line.

I have an ancestor (Elizabeth Seaman) listed there in the 1881 census with the occupation of 'Housekeeper Domestic Servant' although it does not have 'Pauper' beside it as many others do with their occupation. She is noted as an 'Inmate' as all the others. Elizabeth died in the Union House in 1885 and I'd like to find out if she was there as an inmate all that time.

I used to find workhouse records on Ancestry but they don't seem to be there now.

Thank you.

Growing old Disgracefully

What year was she born, who where her parents was she married moor information please.

Reputation beyond repute

Few records have survived from Orsett Workhouse - such as there are will be at Essex Record Office. I've checked my reference book ("Poor Law Union Records") and I'm afraid I don't see anything that might help with your problem.

Workhouse infirmary records are normally archived separately from other workhouse records. I haven't checked for survival of these.

I see she was 87 years old in 1881 so she presumably died of old age. I guess she would have been classed as "deserving poor"

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Few records have survived from Orsett Workhouse - such as there are will be at Essex Record Office. I've checked my reference book ("Poor Law Union Records") and I'm afraid I don't see anything that might help with your problem.

Workhouse infirmary records are normally archived separately from other workhouse records. I haven't checked for survival of these.

I see she was 87 years old in 1881 so she presumably died of old age. I guess she would have been classed as "deserving poor"
    I was thinking the same Peter as sometimes the Workhouse was also a Hospital in these times. I found her in the census with her husband and children.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Elizabeth was born somewhere between 1791 and 1795 (probably). Her 1885 death certificate says she was 91. She was a widow from 1862. In 1871 she was living with a daughter and grand-daughter as head of the household and noted as a housekeeper.