Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Joseph Parker Hall

I think I have already posted this, but cannot find my record.

Joseph Parker Hall. believed to be a ships captain. sailed from Scotland to Australia. around Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand in the eraly 1830s.

married Margaret Wilson 1839 Tasmania (but cannot find a record).
    had two children. Joseph Parker Hall jnr born 1841 Launceston, and Charlotte Wilson Hall 1845 Sydney.

trying to find parents of both. Joseph was listed as John Hall on Charlotte's baptismal record.

I believe possibly that they were convicts and changed their details for family reasons. Didnt want anyone to know they may been convicts as I cannot find any emigration records for them as either passengers or crew. Margaret believed to have been born according to her marriage cert to 2nd husband William Soutar, as 1805 Midlothian, Scotland. hope someone can help. regards Doreen

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Have you tried?
    https://convictrecords.com.au/
    https://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/search.php
    Have you traced Joseph's death?Any obituary?

Dundee10

Only a small number of immigration records for Tasmania still exist, especially prior to the 1840s, so it is not unusual to find no records.

Margaret married as WILSON to William SOUTAR - does the register state whether she was a spinster or a widow? It is sometimes hard to tell with Scots women as they often kept their birth surnames.

Is John HALL's occupation given on Charlotte's baptism?

Margaret was quite old by the time she had the children you have mentioned so she would have had a fair bit of personal history before then. Are Joseph and Charlotte the only children mentioned on her death certificate? What else is stated? Are there any details of previous marriages?

I think that John HALL and Joseph PARKER were two different people and Joseph jnr. was using a combination of the two names. I cannot see his baptism in Tasmania but there is one at Launceston in 1840 for John Alexander PARKER the son of Joseph PARKER a master mariner, and Margaret WILSON.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD32-1-3-p509j2k

A Joseph PARKER was the master of the ship 'Samuel Cunard' in 1836 which did the east coast run between Sydney and Launceston.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Wink Joseph Parker Hall

Dear Dundee 10
    this is the 3rd time I have tried to answer your questions. I submit them, then next time I check, my answers are gone. So here goes again.

thankyou for your help.
    Margaret listed herself as widowed on her marriage to William Soutar.
    I have been looking at Joseph Parker. Did find the birth of John Aleander Parker in Launceston.
    I have asked the Aust. Soc of Genealogists for help with Capt Joseph parker and ship Samuel Cunard.
    I have emailed the relevant church where Charlotte was baptised regarding info on fathers occupation. NO answer yet. I have passed on your info to my friend. She was surprised. Queried where did the surname Hall come from or come into it. Why did they go by the name Hall. I cannot find any death or burial for a Joseph Parker Hall, Joseph Parker, Joseph Hall that matches. STill trying to find his date and place of birth including parents. found a possible marriage of Joseph Hall and Margaret Wilson 1822 Colne Lancashire. still trying to follow that lead up to see what his occupation was.
    regards Doreen.