Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Question about WWII British Service numbers

Hello I have a question in regard to British Service numbers.

I have a photo of someone with a service number 4976622 and the following information M/G Plt 5th Foresters, Drayton, Nr Norwich, Norfolk.

Did British Service numbers in WWII differentiate between the various arms of the defence force? I know that the 5th Foresters are the Sherwood Foresters Notts and Derby Regiment which a number of my family served in WWI. I'm confused by reference to this but also what appears to be a reference to a machine gun pilot which would indicate air force?

I would like to trace the origin of this photograph my mother had and put a surname to it, all I know is that his first name was Michael. The Notts and Derby regiment ties in with my mother's work area around Repton and surrounding area during WWII, and I know that her brother brought US airmen to visit too. I also know that mum was engaged to a bomber pilot during the war and he was unfortunately killed in a bombing raid over from memory Berlin.

Can anyone assist with either information on army and airforce service numbers or the information on where the 5th Foresters were stationed during WWII? I was hoping to try and confirm what force he was in.

Famous for offering help & advice

The number blocks allocated to the Sherwood Foresters prior to WW2 were 4960001 - 5038000, so the number you have quoted ties in with him having enlisted with them. However, unlike WW1 a man retained his number even if he transferred into a different regiment, although I don't know the situation if he transferred to a different branch, ie army to RAF.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Not sure about Machine Gun Pilot, if he was in the Air Force it would be Air Gunner. Just a thought, is it a photo near a Machine Gun Pit?
    Keith

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Can you post the photo, back and front, it may help is determine the wording and situation.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.