Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dundee10

I think you are misunderstanding the information that has been posted. The speculation is that George was born in July 1887 to Emma Eliza KIGHTLEY who was unmarried. Emma marries later that year to George WATTS. It is not unusual to see an illegitimate child use both their birth surname and the surname of a stepfather at various stages in their life, especially if they did anything official like getting married. It might indicate that he knew George WATTS wasn't his father but that is purely speculation.

You shouldn't miss steps and need to get the KIGHTLEY/COOKE marriage certificate to see what George says about his father.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by DRCope View Post
    Hello,
    I'm looking for information on George Edward John Kightley b.23 Jul 1887 in Buckinghamshire. He married a
    Henrietta Cooke b.29 Jan 1889 in Herefordshire.
    I'm a member of Ancestry and can't find him on the 1891 census and have no idea who his parents are.
    Rumor has it that the ancestors are from Ravenstone.
    Thanks.
    This is what you need to be Buying first the Marriage Cert NOT THE BIRTH CERT.
    Marriages Sep 1914
    George E J KIGHTLEY - Hereford - Vol no. 6a - Page no. 1166
    On the same page is Henrietta Cooke

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    This is what you need to be Buying first the Marriage Cert NOT THE BIRTH CERT.
    Marriages Sep 1914
    George E J KIGHTLEY - Hereford - Vol no. 6a - Page no. 1166
    On the same page is Henrietta Cooke
    Sorry, Sandy, but on this occasion I have to disagree with you.
    Both certificates are required, because the implication from George's birth registration of no mother's maiden name is that he is illegitimate.
    Therefore you have to know definitely who the mother is. The birth certificate might give a clue to the father's name.
    The marriage certificate will only give George's father's details as he told them. And how many of us can bear witness to incorrect details, either through ignorance or downright lies? I got thoroughly confused by my great granny who said her father was Thomas. No, he was her grandfather. She was illegitimate, and by an amazing stroke of luck I found a reference to her mother taking the father to court for maintenance, so I found her true father's name.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

If it's your tree on Ancestry I am looking at owners name is Renaecope you have different children than I have found on FreeBMD,

Births Dec 1916
    Kathleen E E Kightley - MMN Cooke -Nuneaton - Vol no 6d, Page no 1078.

Births Sep 1920
    Ronald J G Kightley MMN Cooke - Nuneaton - Vol no 6d, Page no 1320.

Births Sep 1922
    Eric L Kightley MMN Cooke - Nuneaton - Vol no 6d, Page no 1142

Births Dec 1932
    Yvonne B Kightley - Nuneaton - Vol no - 6d, Page no -863

I can not find a birth for Eithel Jean Kightley born ABT 1919 • Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, England who is in this tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Sorry, Sandy, but on this occasion I have to disagree with you.
    Both certificates are required, because the implication from George's birth registration of no mother's maiden name is that he is illegitimate.
    Therefore you have to know definitely who the mother is. The birth certificate might give a clue to the father's name.
    The marriage certificate will only give George's father's details as he told them. And how many of us can bear witness to incorrect details, either through ignorance or downright lies? I got thoroughly confused by my great granny who said her father was Thomas. No, he was her grandfather. She was illegitimate, and by an amazing stroke of luck I found a reference to her mother taking the father to court for maintenance, so I found her true father's name.

Pam
    yes she needs both Birth and Marriage cert if she has the money but to start with I would get the marriage cert to see what that has on it for all we know it might not have a fathers name on it
    If she buy's the birth first and it has a fathers name on it then she gets the marriage and it has no fathers name on it she wasted her money on the wrong birth cert.

I can not find a birth for Eithel Jean Kightley born ABT 1919 • Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, England who is in this tree.
    Here it is Sandy, misspelled

Births Dec 1918
    Kiteley Ethel E J Cook Nuneaton 6d 914
    Alma

If she buy's the birth first and it has a fathers name on it then she gets the marriage and it has no fathers name on it she wasted her money on the wrong birth cert.
    As the GRO has no MMN listed, it is very likely an illegitimate birth, and no father's name will be on the certificate.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Here it is Sandy, misspelled

Births Dec 1918
    Kiteley Ethel E J Cook Nuneaton 6d 914
    Thanks I tried numerous ways and nothing turned up on FreeBMD even left of mother maiden name

I knew there was another one as 1939 had 2 names blocked out

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by DRCope View Post
    This is curious. I have an index for George E J Kightley married to Henrietta Cooke, and my family name is Kightley not Watts. I wonder why he would have switched his name in a few years. It is strange that the child would have the mmn.
    Hi, sorry not to have explained my thinking and thanks to dundee10 for clarifying. As others have said, all our possible suggestions are only speculation until backed up by evidence. Please do let us know what the certificates say when you have them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12