Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Edward John Kightley

Hello,
    I'm looking for information on George Edward John Kightley b.23 Jul 1887 in Buckinghamshire. He married a
    Henrietta Cooke b.29 Jan 1889 in Herefordshire.
    I'm a member of Ancestry and can't find him on the 1891 census and have no idea who his parents are.
    Rumor has it that the ancestors are from Ravenstone.
    Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

The GRO index doesn’t show a mother’s maiden name, indicating that he was illegitimate:
    KIGHTLEY, GEORGE EDWARD JOHN. GRO Ref: 1887 S Quarter in NEWPORT PAGNELL Volume 03A Page 709

There was a marriage in Newport Pagnell in the same quarter between William Mynard and Mary Ann Kightley, suggesting that Mary Ann is his mother.

They have a daughter in the first quarter of 1891:
    MYNARD, ALICE ADA mmn KIGHTLEY GRO Ref: 1891 M Quarter in NORTHAMPTON Volume 03B Page 103

The 1891 census shows William Mynard at home with his parents in Olney, aged 29 & a boot riveter.

Mary Ann & Alice Ada are in Ravenstone with Mary Ann’s parents, Henry & Elizabeth Kightley.

Like you, I can’t find any trace of George and wonder if he was with Mary Ann but has simply been missed off by the enumerator when he copied over the household return?

There was a marriage in Newport Pagnell in the same quarter between William Mynard and Mary Ann Kightley, suggesting that Mary Ann is his mother.
    Hi Jomot, although you may well be right, I cannot see how the marriage suggests Mary Ann Kightley is George Edward John Kightley's mother. Do you have some other information which suggests it to be the case?
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DRCope View Post
    Hello,
    I'm looking for information on George Edward John Kightley b.23 Jul 1887 in Buckinghamshire. He married a
    Henrietta Cooke b.29 Jan 1889 in Herefordshire.
    I'm a member of Ancestry and can't find him on the 1891 census and have no idea who his parents are.
    Rumor has it that the ancestors are from Ravenstone.
    Thanks.
    Obtaining a copy of his birth certificate will at least tell you who his mother is. And until you have a copy of that birth certificate anything else is just pure speculation.
    You can get a black-and-white PDF copy of the details on the certificate for £6.00 (pretty pink/red certified copies cost £9.25)
    Start here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    with the 'search the historical indexes' though you will need to register before you can actually search.
    Once you see the result you can click 'PDFcopy' and basically all you have to do then is flash the plastic to pay.

Do you have a copy of George's marriage certificate to see if he names a father? All marriage certificates cost £9.25. Order through the GRO site. Details you need to enter are:
    Name George E J Kightley (no need to give Henrietta's)
    Year 1914 and the quarter is either 3rd or September (you select from the menu)
    Registration district: Hereford
    Volume number: 6a
    Page number: 1166

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi there
    I've found a George Edward John Watts in 1911 in Nuneaton, b Fenny Stratford 1888.
    In 1891 he is in Fenny Stratford with parents George and Emma Eliza and brother Henry Joseph.
    No birth for him but brother Henry has mmn Kightley.
    Marriage 1887 Newport Pagnell, George Watts and Emma Eliza Keightley.
    Looks possible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Jomot, although you may well be right, I cannot see how the marriage suggests Mary Ann Kightley is George Edward John Kightley's mother. Do you have some other information which suggests it to be the case?
    Only that unmarried mothers often marry shortly afterwards, and the marriage is in the same RD - I did say 'suggests', not fact

I should, of course, have added that the birth certificate was needed.

ADDED: Looks like Grisel has found a much better candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi there
    I've found a George Edward John Watts in 1911 in Nuneaton, b Fenny Stratford 1888.
    In 1891 he is in Fenny Stratford with parents George and Emma Eliza and brother Henry Joseph.
    No birth for him but brother Henry has mmn Kightley.
    Marriage 1887 Newport Pagnell, George Watts and Emma Eliza Keightley.
    Looks possible to me.
    I like that one, Grisel, as (from memory, I saw a record for him in Nuneaton [maybe 1939 register] where he was entered as 'JOHN Kightley)
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

No, I don't have a birth or marriage certificate only the index. No parents listed. I'll look up the website you suggested. Thanks.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I've ordered a birth certificate and will hopefully get more info. I understand that she may not have been married. George Edward John Kightley did keep the Kightley name and passed that down to his children, which would make me think possibly Mary Ann could be his mother as they were living separately in 1891. We'll see....

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This is curious. I have an index for George E J Kightley married to Henrietta Cooke, and my family name is Kightley not Watts. I wonder why he would have switched his name in a few years. It is strange that the child would have the mmn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast