Starting to feel at home

Default Hepzibah Williamson

Evening All,

I've been struggling with this for ages.

I have a John Harden married to Elizabeth nee Milner/Miller living in Wombwell in 1871. The census also shows a daughter Epziba Williamson born in Cheshire in 1851. I'm struggling to link her to the family.
    A John Harding(it is Harden everywhere else) marries an Elizabeth Williamson in the right area (Radford) and time scale but am unable to find Elizabeths first marriage or Hepzibahs birth.
    Elizabeth is shown on a certificate as Milner though I believe it is Miller and I can put Elizabeth with her mother,also Hebzibah in the correct place(Northamptonshire) its the bit between leaving her parents and turning up in Wombwell I cant find.

Where are they all in 1861?

Different name spellings isn't helping

Perhaps I can't see for looking but a fresh pair of eyes may help.

Thanks, Kate

Famous for offering help & advice

In 1861 it looks like they are at Ilkeston Road, Radford, but just to confuse you:

John Hardy 25 Coal Miner b Radford
    Elizabeth Hardy 34 Boot Closer b Higham Ferrers
    Hephzibah Pearson 10 Daughter in Law born High Lane, Cheshire.

RG9/2449/68/39

PEARSON, HEPHZIBAH mmn JACKSON GRO Reference: 1850 D Quarter in STOCKPORT Volume 19 Page 262

Added: Baptism
    17 Aug 1851, Higham Ferrers, Hephzibah d/o George & Elizabeth Pearson, Higham Ferrers

1851 - Back Lane, Marple, Stockport. HO107/2154/123/33
    George Pearson 30 Lodger Hostler born Nottingham
    Elizabeth Pearson 25 born Northamptonshire
    Epzy Ba Pearson 5 months born Marple, Cheshire
    Hannah Williamson 52 Widow born ? Lane, Derbyshire
    Last edited by Jomot1; 16-09-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo

I don't think George & Elizabeth ever married (though I could be wrong), and its possible that in 1861 George is in Pleasley, Derbyshire with a new 'wife' named Jane - although I can't find a marriage to her either. George is 38, a Waggoner, born Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire.

I can't explain the maiden name of Jackson on Hephzibah's birth certificate though. I've checked Cheshire BMD and it's on there as Jackson too, in the sub-district of Marple.

Starting to feel at home

Wow, thanks Jomot.
    A lot of that ties together. I have Elizabeth Miller born in Higham Ferres on other census so that's them in 1861.

Even more confused about Hepzibah now though lol. If she was born Pearson/Jackson where does the Williamson come from other than the lodger in 1861.
    Sadley Hepzibah Williamson dies in 1873 so I cant get any further with her.
    Thanks for the rest of the info though.

Don't forget that the term "daughter in law" at that time was also used for "step daughter" as well as "wife of my son".
    Also, the registrars recorded what they were told, it wasn't necessarily accurate.