Growing old Disgracefully

Default Who are these folks .......

I have in my Family John Steptoe, Birth 1854 • Wootton, Berkshire, England he married Annie Bolton Birth ABT 1851 • Marcham, Berkshire, England, Death JULY 1905 • Eton, Buckinghamshire, wife of 2nd great-uncle.

I have John in all the census from 1861 up to 1911
    I have Annie in all the census from 1861 up to 1901

In 1881 census John Steptoe, Age 27 is with Annie Steptoe Age 30 his wife and Arthur Bowler Age 16 visitor.

In 1891 census John Steptoe is with wife Annie Steptoe also in the household are Sarah Challis 26 single, border, Edith Challis 6 border, Eva Challis 2 border.

1901 census John Steptoe 45 is with wife Annie Steptoe 46 also with them are Evard (should be Eva)Steptoe 13, Hellen Steptoe 9, Amy Steptoe 1.

1911 Census John Steptoe 54 Widow. with the following all single
    John Challis, 42, Sarah Challis 46, Edith Challis 26, Eva Challis 23, Ellen Challis 19, James Challis 3.

Looked for births for Challis and Steptoe name children found some for challis but no MMN shown on GRO but no marriage for Steptoe and Challis either.

Maybe I should start another tree with Challis see if I can find a connection lol

Dundee10

The children are Sarah's illegitimate offspring. In 1901 Sarah has gone off somewhere and John and Annie have recorded the children as theirs. By 1911 Sarah is back with children and John CHALLIS is her brother. Their parents appear to be Isaac CHALLIS and Eliza VINCE.

Amy should be 7 in 1901, not 1, it is just an enumerator error in copying. She was born in 1894 and died in 1906.

Death
    CHILLIS, ANNY VIOLET
    aged 12
    GRO Reference: 1906 J Quarter in ETON BUCKS Volume 03A Page 417

The name on the old printed indexes is CHALLIS, Amy Violet, but the GRO is indexing from the original documents so the handwriting is probably difficult to read.

Growing old Disgracefully

Thanks Dundee 10 I decided to go look for them and found them all, as I couldn't believe someone could have so many illegitimate children. A lot of trees on ancestry have her as the wife of John Steptoe but No marriage for them.